Author Topic: Barnyard  (Read 1840 times)

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
Barnyard
« on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
I have heard people refer to a barnyard as type of area that deer group together in during the winter to more easily find food and protect against predators. Not sure if this is accurate or not but, I found one this weekend.

Checked several cameras this weekend, and one of them had 140 photos and videos (one of each every time it turns on). I assumed it malfunctioned, but holy moly did we get some deer pics and videos. To my surprise everyone was legit.

Is this normal after the season, or is there a smaller # of deer working this area hard?

Also is it bad juju to put trail cam photos on here? Is there a place only members can view the pictures?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Barnyard
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
In NY there called yarding areas.
Theres a couple famous ones in the Adirondacks that are very protected.
Back in the day the old timers would bring them hay and oats. There could be a couple hundred deer in a sheltered spot..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
In NY there called yarding areas.
Theres a couple famous ones in the Adirondacks that are very protected.
Back in the day the old timers would bring them hay and oats. There could be a couple hundred deer in a sheltered spot..

Same here, “ deer yards” guys put 24 hour cams on them now live so you can watch anytime. Can’t say I’ve heard barnyard. If we get a lot of snow they will head early and hunters who normally couldn’t get a buck unless you tied it to a tree get one those years and the coyotes lay in wait too. Lost a lot of historical ones here. I won’t ahare a trail cam pic until it’s dead!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:05:06 AM »
This area is known for some of it's "deer yards". It is nothing to take a 10 mile ride and see hundreds of deer when Winter really sets in. You will more DEC then, than during hunting season....h2l

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2019, 09:51:34 AM by hunts2long »
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
Great picture hunts2long there not Harding yet are they ? Happy holidays !

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
Yeah I took some time last night to go through the pics and videos. 8-10 different does and 3-4 bucks made up the all 70 photos and videos. Neat to see regardless. 2 of the bucks where new to our cameras. I am pretty sure they are all chasing the hot doe in the group.

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
3 years ago during the last day of Shotgun season here in RI, which is mid/end of December, I had 20 deer run past me in a single file. Never seen that in my life before.
Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal