Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49078 times)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
Yup I got them planted yesterday. I also made sure to have them an inch or two above grade.

I was thinking landscape fabric would be good too. My existing trees are growing slowly and I think getting rid of the weeds is key.

Speaking of cages, I had removed them from my 4 small trees this year and each of them got hit by deer. One was rubbed and the others were raked by horns. They browsed them good too. Needless to say the cages are back on! Lesson learned there.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »
I'm going to show that to my boss and see if we can start a couple dozen in the green house... ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
HW - did you try the grow tubes for the chestnuts?

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
I'll be cutting back some brush tomorrow from around my food plot, trimming out some new shooting lanes around one of my new stands, and doing some post season scouting and shed hunting. I've been getting some trail cam pics of bucks that have already shed antlers.

It looks like they are starting to drop their horns here too. I actually passed on this buck with the bow and was thrilled to see that he made it through.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Looking great Tom.

Hows the grouse population? Ive been out looking for them but keep finding holdover pheasants that the state released before deer season.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »
Looking great Tom.

Hows the grouse population? Ive been out looking for them but keep finding holdover pheasants that the state released before deer season.
and that's a bad thing Matt?     lol ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2014, 07:18:21 PM by nyduckman »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:42:08 PM »
Looking great Tom.

I've got grouse all over... until we get a good snow like two weeks back- then they're gone. Across the road there is a pretty extensive patch of cedars and a swampy area. I'm pretty sure they winter there.

reeleyz-

I haven't tried the grow tubes. They are talked up pretty good, but I doubt I could have gotten better first year growth than I did. I've got a sprayer for the back of the wheeler... It was dry for about a month or more right after I planted last year. I got there at least every other day and kept everything from drying out. Grow tubes mostly help by retaining moisture- I guess if you keep things watered- especially early on, you'll do fine without them. Otherwise I'm sure they'll make a big difference.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
It looks like they are starting to drop their horns here too. I actually passed on this buck with the bow and was thrilled to see that he made it through.

oh I was thinking it was a little early for that ; Guess I was wrong  ;D

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »
Chipping away at it...

Hitting the turnips good now. Looks like the population is in good shape after the season thinning- still quite a few around.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2014, 03:55:04 AM »

Making room for the chestnuts or you adding some different type vittles , You got it looking real good around there
    They sure are digging for them , You need to be setting in the shack still looks like it is comfy   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2014, 03:55:51 AM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2014, 06:08:36 AM »
    Making room for the chestnuts or you adding some different type vittles , You got it looking real good around there
    They sure are digging for them , You need to be setting in the shack still looks like it is comfy   ;D ;D

I'm clearing this spot for more apple trees with Chestnut mixed through also.  Our season closed on the 16th, that shack is pretty comfy, but Dad's stand has it beat...

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

hehehe  :) :)   yeah look at those cabnets

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »
That looks comfy! ;D

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »
Dad is on some medication that makes it so he can't handle the cold like he used to. I put a lot of effort last summer into being able to move the camper to a good travel zone between 2 bedding areas so we could hunt this year together.

This is Dad celebrating his 70th deer season...

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2014, 06:09:44 AM »

Yes  Yes  The young 20 year old looks very happy with that smile ;  Good for him he still get's excited doesn't he  :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal