Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49099 times)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »
That is awesome HW!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
Orchard is starting to take shape.
Before...

Progress so far...

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »
Looks like there are not many big trees there? Those vines don't look fun though.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:25:55 AM »
A lot of 6" diameter trees, a few 12-18 inchers but not a lot. I think this area had been cleared before many years ago as there is a distinct difference here from the steeper areas on either side of it. Relatively level areas are at a premium here. Got my saw pinched beyond recovery yesterday. Stood there trying to come up with the best course of action to free it with my hands on my hips. My right hand was actually resting on my .45 and I thought "might work... but if I shoot my saw I'm going to feel like a complete moron" Happy to report that 1 well placed shot dropped that tree in its tracks and I got my saw back! Next time though I'm bringing the wedge.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:58:47 AM »
  Looking real real good vines are taking a licking , You got to be a farmer for sure coming up with a little invention's
  hehehehe  was a great idea and worked  :) :)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
That is pretty clever. That place is looking good!

I am going to clear a few trees tomorrow to let in some more sunlight for those Apple trees. I figure I might as well do some firewood while waiting for some ice.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

Thanks for the info. Tom ; Got 5 Chinese chestnut trees coming from Gurneys at the end  of  April , Going to give them a try   :)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2015, 03:56:23 PM »

Your in box is full Tom

I'll clean it up. Good luck with your chestnuts- let me know how it goes.
Spent New Years Day clearing- things are finally starting to take shape. I think I'm going to continue downhill a bit more. You can kind of see the flat that makes sense to clear in the first pic...

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »

Did you mix them chestnuts with those crab apples , Or you keeping crabs on one side and chestnuts on the other .

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
Looking good. How far apart did you plant the apple trees and how far apart are your chestnut trees?

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
Looking good. How far apart did you plant the apple trees and how far apart are your chestnut trees?

Did you mix them chestnuts with those crab apples , Or you keeping crabs on one side and chestnuts on the other .

The crabapple are about 16 feet apart and are in a cluster on the farthest uphill side (in the cages) The chestnut are scattered below the crabapple and elsewhere that there is adequate sun. They are about 50' apart. Below these I'm putting a mix of fruit trees- I hope to have 50 Mcintosh and Jonamac coming in spring but I haven't got confirmation on that yet. I'm planting everything far enough apart that I can plant clover/foodplot mix that will have enough light to do well and be able to mow without too much trouble. I'm getting a good enough deal on the apple trees that if they couldn't get them in this springs shipment I'm going to just put in plot seed an wait til 2016. Hopefully, they'll be here in a couple months. When complete there will be fruit/nut trees throughout with clover/chicory/etc as ground cover. I'm sure the turkeys will love this new clearing- they were in it pretty good after the first stage which was pretty small. Everything loves edges- I've got a few other plans either side of this to create more. These edges will most just be brush hogged areas though I will plant chestnut where I can and the light is adequate.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
Kept working down the hill today. Kind of snotty out but the ground is frozen so no muddy mess and no snow so it's easy to see what you're doing. Just finished off a quart of venison chili. It was great to come home starving- pop it in the microwave for 4 minutes then chow down!
High winds really got the fire churning today...

Progress to date...
The trail you can see to the right of the lone tree is one I cut last winter- it leads to the furthest South bedding area. Not for human travel- just deer. They use it pretty frequently.   8)

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2015, 04:04:20 PM by Hollywood »

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:45:58 AM »

You doing lot's of work around there and looking mighty good . Need you around my place hehehe   ;D ;D
            Mine is pretty good , Got to take a walk and see where I going to put my chestnuts ; Plus 3 morle trees ....

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
Mr Hollywood, I'm assuming you was usingachainsaw? Here's a little helpful tip for ya if you get that badly pinched again.  Take the bar off your saw lol. If you frig up then, a new bar is only 40$ vs. a new saw.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:08:24 AM »
Mr Hollywood, I'm assuming you was usingachainsaw? Here's a little helpful tip for ya if you get that badly pinched again.  Take the bar off your saw lol. If you frig up then, a new bar is only 40$ vs. a new saw.

Good idea- I'm not a very good pistol shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal