Author Topic: grinding burger  (Read 9985 times)

Offline wile.e.1

• Forked
grinding burger
« on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »
after years of having someone else process my deer , I cut up a doe myself. Did pretty good on time for the 1st effort....thanks youtube. In the past I would have either pork or beef fat mixed into the grind. On this deer I used bacon. Anyone else ever do that ?   Just wondering if it is OK .  I will find out soon enough....I ate the tenderloins for lunch yesterday,  tonight is backstraps for dinner    :)   then I will try the burger....Seems to me bacon would work,   I mean,   what doesn't taste better with bacon right ?  Appreciate any thoughts,   thanks
remember those who served..ALL gave some, some gave ALL

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: grinding burger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
I know people on here have done it. I used pork butt and beef shoulder the last few years. When using pork you should cook it thoroughly, with the beef I don't feel it as necessary for me personally. Did you get a grinder yet?
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013, 07:58:05 AM by stka »

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2013, 08:02:20 AM »
should work fine. normaly we add 5lbs of pork butt to 20 lbs of venison. its a good mix ratio for us. we generaly remove all stringy stuff and cut long muscle's into about 1" lengths. helps keep the grinder from clogging up with taloe. we generally grind everything in the 3/8" die first. venison first then the pork. mix the two together and then send it through the 1/8" die after. we use 18x24x6 deep plastic totes to mix everything in. if we make sausage we add add that last and mix well before we send it through the horn or make it onto patty's or bulk. good luck.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
I mix in 1 part pork tenderloin to 3 parts venison with a package of maple smoked bacon. Best Berger I ever had.

Online Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
i dont normally cut anything with it, I want venison, occasionally I might add bacon to it but that is usually after I already ground it, venison shouldnt be cooked anywhere close to well done, so that will keep it from being dry, if you cant eat it less than medium you can add egg and maybe a little breadcrumb to it to help with moisture
Take a Kid outside...

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
i dont normally cut anything with it, I want venison, occasionally I might add bacon to it but that is usually after I already ground it, venison shouldnt be cooked anywhere close to well done, so that will keep it from being dry, if you cant eat it less than medium you can add egg and maybe a little breadcrumb to it to help with moisture
You and I are on the same page, with the exception of burger patties. I grind a bit of bacon into that, other than that I just do venison. And I do a lot with it too  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013, 10:06:07 AM by mookie »
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Not to jack the thread but I'm looking at getting a grinder any suggestions as to what I should get ?

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
Not to jack the thread but I'm looking at getting a grinder any suggestions as to what I should get ?
I'm real happy with the kitchen aid attachment. But I do know there is better options out there. I already had the kitchen aid and figured what's to lose? I had a old hand grinder for years..... If I had a bigger place I would likely get a commercial grinder, but for now in my little space, just can't.
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

The smaller the motor the harder it will work and the hotter it will get. We have a 3/4hp (650 watt) #12 and I think that's a good size if you are going to do a fair amount of grinding. We cube and freeze our burger meat during the season and then grind all out deer in one sitting, without it getting warm.

Offline wile.e.1

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2013, 07:49:54 AM »
thanks for the input guys, I used a electric grinder that I had still new in the box but never used, I forget how many watts ,smaller unit though.  It worked great, like stka said,  if your gonna do a bunch  you have to stop and let the motor cool. If it tastes as good as it looks , I might get a higher wattage grinder.  I just took my time and it ran fine. It was actually the most fun part of processing the deer,   nice to actually know  what is in your grind .  Anyone on the fence about cutting up your deer yourself, give it a shot  , its not that tough.         hmmmmmm,  I see sausage in my future

Offline ms.hick

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
We always grind in some form of pork, I've never thought about bacon. You'll have to let us know how it turns out, sounds good.

Online Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »
I find cooking the burgers wraped well in foil for a while than taken out and brown them works best...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
I do the same as the other guys on here who mix with nothing and if we are making patties on the grill we add egg, seasoning, and oatmeal to help with moisture and to keep everything together. I never mix it with any other meat, just with spices for sausage and burger. My kids eat mostly burger so I grind up nearly everything on the deer and make burger out of it because 99% of the meals with meat the kids want involves burger. The backstraps and tenderloins I do as steaks for me, and the neck I do as stew and chili cubed meat.

I have a 1hp, 750 watt grinder with a #22 neck. I grind up 4 - 6 deer a year plus in years when we elk hunt I do 1 - 3 elk as well. Often times we will do nearly all of them on the same day and just make the whole day a meat processing day. I can throw in huge cuts of meat into that thing and it won't even blink, never gets hot on me and it takes maybe an hour tops to grind up all four deer grinding time wise and I don't have to remove any stringy bits, the grinder chops them up just as fine as the rest of the burger so long as I keep my grinder blades razor sharp.

The wrapping, taping, marking and freezing is what takes the longest. I buy whole 50lb rolls of butcher paper online rather than try and deal with lots of smaller amounts locally. A 55lb roll will last at least two years. I just use thin painters tape for the tape as it seems the same to me as the freezer tape butcher's supply places sell and it takes marking just fine and it's a whole lot cheaper at the local hardware store than buying specialty freezer tape. I've never had an issue with freezer burn but then again we never have left over game after the year is up and the next season begins so my stuff has never been frozen longer than a year.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2013, 09:40:29 AM by Cornbread »

Offline wile.e.1

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
well I tasted the first batch,   MAN that was good.  Made some meatballs. added onion, gr. peeper, little bit of bread crumbs and a shot of Worcestershire sauce. fried them up and had them on a fresh hard roll....2 of em actually.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal