Author Topic: Hunting the Mountains  (Read 2315 times)

Offline blue igloo

• 6 Pointer
  • "we don't remember days....only moments"
Hunting the Mountains
« on: Oct 22, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »
Here is the short version of our successful 3 week hunt. Remember, success is not only how many animals are harvested. The whole outdoor experience with friends is my personal gauge for success. The full version will appear someday on my personal website.....just Google "Ron's Hunting World" and you'll find me at the top of the listings.
 Flew from Winnipeg to Prince George via Vancouver. My oversized and overweight bags almost didn't get to PG with me but it all worked out in the end. Spent the first day getting supplies and loading all the gear for an early start the next day. The 13 hour trip would take us close to the Yukon border. Once settled in, we spent the first day hunting for a full curl Dall Sheep ram and a thin-horned goat. Unknown to us at the time, the area was already hunted heavily and a beautiful ram was already harvested by the time we arrived. The game plan was changed for the next day. Hunters must always be flexible. Moose was our next quarry. We explored many new areas and gradually made it to another moutain peak. When we got down to treeline a short while later, we spotted our first bull moose but he was very evasive and slipped away among the thick stand of spruce trees. With so many trails to explore we continued on. On our return to the area where we had previously flushed that small bull, Terry spotted a huge bull moose. Unbeknownst to us at the time, the big boy was in the company of a huge cow and a yearling. Terry being the always gracious host, obliged me to load my rifle and take the bull. At about 120 yards, it was a slam dunk. I loaded 1 shell and fired into the front shoulder. Down he went on the spot. Now, only the tip of his antlers could be seen. As I moved swiftly to my right, while loading another 3 shells, I found an opening and I was ready when he finally stood up. Perfect standing quartering away shot. The second shot went through the lungs and slammed into the other front shoulder. Down he went. Wished they all co-operated like that! The bull's girlfriend just stood there looking like she was lost. Luckily for her, we only had a bull tag! We spent a few more days exploring new areas, made some new friends and before we knew it, it was time to move on to part two of our hunting adventure. Drove south to elk country and chased them around for the next 2 weeks. Just as we were getting close, time ran out for us and it was time to return to reality, jobs and family. Along the way, many interesting conversations were shared and a few practical jokes were played. As I said, the details will come later. Hope you enjoy my short selection of photos. I took over 400 of them but got it down to 168 of the best for my photo album which will be viewed many times I'm sure when I'm no longer of this earth.
With pictures and tales I'm leaving a legacy behind.
Looking forward to doing it again.
Thanks Terry  8)
Blue Igloo

"we don't remember days....only moments"

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hunting the Mountains
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
Blue Igloo,
  WOW what a memory. That is very beautiful country and the moose was just a bonus! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »
very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »
Blue Igloo,
  WOW what a memory. That is very beautiful country and the moose was just a bonus! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

I couldn't agree more with that statement !!!! BEAUTIFUL country !!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal