MHF US Northwest > Hunting Montana
Moose Tag in Unit 104
(1/6) > >>
sra61:
Well, hell my Daddy always said, "occasionally even a blind sow finds an acorn". I finally drew another big tag. I got a moose tag for Unit 104. From Hwy. 2 to S. end of Bull Lake, and W. of Hwy. 56 to the Idaho line. I have never hunted that country before. I have gone over there twice since I saw I drew. Of course it's jungle. I asked the guy at the Sporting Good store in Libby, and he didn't have any knowledge of the area, really. He did have a bunch of pretty good bull moose pics on his board though, so obviously there are still some big boys left. I do know that the success in most of NW Montana has dropped from pretty much 100% in 2010 to about 40-60% in all units except for Ten Lakes up at Eureka. I don't see much activity on this site, but just wondering if anyone might have some useful information that I could use. I have horses, ATV, and boat, so all options are open. I plan to spend every weekend from now to Sept. 15 to scout, and I can take 6 weeks to get him if I need to, so I plan to make this one count!
Raquettedacker:
Awesome....   Cant wait to see the pictures..........   Or should I say  good luck first  ?      ::) ::) ::)
Green Mountian Hunter:

Good for you time well spent is worth scouting is a real big help and you now that area ...    Good luck take some pictures for us  ;D ;D
sra61:
So here's what I know so far. In the last three weeks or so I have been over in Unit 104 four days. I have driven every major road that runs up into the mountains. I have done some hiking, not a lot yet. I have found two fresh tracks, and a lot of crap, lots of it from winter, and a good amount of browsed brush that I believe is moose, it's up fairly high, and in the areas with tracks. I haven't been in the area much at prime time because it's still so far out from season, that trying to see one now just seems a little silly. It is very thick and very steep. I think the best tactic is going to be calling and trying to locate those bulls by their calls. I talked to one guy whose brother had a tag up in the Yaak, and he said it was the same up there. They saw much of the rutting activity actually on the roads. They were told that the best areas were clearcuts about 7 years old with Larch saplings about head high. That will definitely narrow it down. Most of the clearcuts are so old that you can't even tell they were a clearcut. One of the fresh tracks was in a creek bottom, and the other was in a cut area with a swamp. I'm ready to do some hiking into some of the areas that I have identified as decent looking places that are away from the roads. It is kind of fun learning and exploring a new area.
Green Mountian Hunter:

Got to keep at it those critters love keeping themselves hidden ; The more you can learn about
the area the better surly a sighten or two is e better , But least you now they are around there...
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version