Author Topic: Funny Hunting Story.  (Read 36490 times)

Offline brett

• Spiked
Funny Hunting Story.
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
I really don't feel like posting this, but when I look at it from a point of view other than mine, it is kind of funny.

This past hunting season I was able to have the privilege of hunting with several of my family members.  While out hunting one morning, I just could not keep my eyes open I was so tired.  I found myself dozing off several times and I tried my best to stay awake, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not.  Next thing you know I find myself waking up to a loud sound below me.  I looked carefully over the side and I found my dad at the bottom of the tree laughing uncontrollably.  It turned out that my dad had tried for an excess of five minutes trying to wake me up.  First, he tried by just saying my name and saying it louder and louder until he was practically yelling at me.  Then, the loud sound was him throwing a stick at me and it hitting the ground.  I really don't know why I was so tired, but I think I could have slept through a thunderstorm.

It is things like this that make hunting so enjoyable even when you don't see anything all day.

One thing I will say is to give your self plenty of time in the mornings to get ready and to wake up completely, and always get plenty of sleep the night before a hunt.
I love to hunt!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
Re: Funny Hunting Story.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:18:40 AM »
Many years ago my father inlaw was hunting with his cousin for geese on a field of peat moss, they just kicked a trench and laid down and waited. I don't remember if any geese were shot but when it got dark my father inlaw walked out and meet thier ride at the road where they just waited, and waited, eventually they started to serch, it took a bit to find him, and it is still a funny story.

Offline brett

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
If anyone else has a funny hunting story that you would like to share, please post it here. :)
I love to hunt!

Offline walleyesteve

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »
I really don't feel like posting this, but when I look at it from a point of view other than mine, it is kind of funny.

This past hunting season I was able to have the privilege of hunting with several of my family members.  While out hunting one morning, I just could not keep my eyes open I was so tired.  I found myself dozing off several times and I tried my best to stay awake, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not.  Next thing you know I find myself waking up to a loud sound below me.  I looked carefully over the side and I found my dad at the bottom of the tree laughing uncontrollably.  It turned out that my dad had tried for an excess of five minutes trying to wake me up.  First, he tried by just saying my name and saying it louder and louder until he was practically yelling at me.  Then, the loud sound was him throwing a stick at me and it hitting the ground.  I really don't know why I was so tired, but I think I could have slept through a thunderstorm.

It is things like this that make hunting so enjoyable even when you don't see anything all day.

One thing I will say is to give your self plenty of time in the mornings to get ready and to wake up completely, and always get plenty of sleep the night before a hunt.
We were hunting a clearcut and I had positioned myself in my tree stand.  With the warm afternoon sun I was falling asleep, so I climbed down and proceeded to nap on the ground. That evening at camp my buddy says, "Why didn't you shoot that monster buck?". Apparently a herd of does and a huge buck had walked right past me! My buddy said soon after the deer a couple of hunters had stopped buy on the trail too. That must have been funny to see me snooz'n away!
Later, Walleye Steve

Offline marcus

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »
this year opening day I  was in a raised shooting hut 10 feet off the ground pouring rain   real nice to have a roof over my head..anyways I nodded off a bit and was awaken to my friends dad less than 200 yards away unloading reloading and unloading his 12 ga again . When I awoke there he stood 50-60 yards away 6-pointer big bodied buck . This being my second year hunting have never gotten a buck I was pumped. I got a nice rest on the edge of my shooting window clicked off the safety and lined him up for the shot. He had his head down feeding at this point I asked myself is this the one I want my answer to myself was YES of course. Minutes passed I didnt shoot ??? I froze up solid :-[      I wanted him to raise his head up once more. When he did he also trotted off into the thick stuff. I did not even shoot :o  I assume this is what is called buck fever. I just froze up    I am still kicking myself over this .    I have only been hunting,like I said, for 2 years now so I dont have the funniest story but I thought it was a story worth sharing nonetheless . I now have 5 days left and all my tags still .  :'(

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
Was sitting on the ground under a bushy little pine watching a feild. Suddenly I was blind! Couldn't see anything. Took a few seconds to realize that I had fallen asleep and it was now well past sunset, a couple of hours past it.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:04:05 PM »
this year opening day I  was in a raised shooting hut 10 feet off the ground pouring rain   real nice to have a roof over my head..anyways I nodded off a bit and was awaken to my friends dad less than 200 yards away unloading reloading and unloading his 12 ga again . When I awoke there he stood 50-60 yards away 6-pointer big bodied buck . This being my second year hunting have never gotten a buck I was pumped. I got a nice rest on the edge of my shooting window clicked off the safety and lined him up for the shot. He had his head down feeding at this point I asked myself is this the one I want my answer to myself was YES of course. Minutes passed I didn't shoot ??? I froze up solid :-[      I wanted him to raise his head up once more. When he did he also trotted off into the thick stuff. I did not even shoot :o  I assume this is what is called buck fever. I just froze up    I am still kicking myself over this .    I have only been hunting,like I said, for 2 years now so I dint have the funniest story but I thought it was a story worth sharing nonetheless . I now have 5 days left and all my tags still .  :'(

When I was young and in my first or second year, I was hunting with my dad, brother and a family friend. I was told where to stand and my dad moved about 25 yards to my left while my brother and the family friend pushed through to us. A minute or two before I saw my brother coming towards me a large doe waltzed by me at no more than 40 paces. She had no idea I was there and even stopped to nibble at a plant as she passed. I was so ashamed that I didn't shoot that it took me a number of years before I told anyone about her
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
I know a guy who got picked for the NH moose hunt and while on the hunt the saw a moose so he unloaded two clips on it and it wouldnt drop, but it didnt run either? They were baffled and when they got up to it they realized it was already dead for a few days, someone else had shot it and while it ran it somehow got lodged between two saplings and died there standing up lol.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
I know a guy who got picked for the NH moose hunt and while on the hunt the saw a moose so he unloaded two clips on it and it wouldnt drop, but it didnt run either? They were baffled and when they got up to it they realized it was already dead for a few days, someone else had shot it and while it ran it somehow got lodged between two saplings and died there standing up lol.

Hmmmm......sounds a bit fishy :o..... Versions of this tale have been around for years, usualy involving large deer. Even if it was lodged the head would drop or the legs wouldn't be right, shouild be easy enough to tell, unles they are piss poor hunters. ;) Always a good story though, the teller of these tales also make great fishermen ;D ;D ;D
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
Ok Raquette you wanted to hear my turkey story so here it goes......about the fifth time last year every out hunting turkey......im by myself sitting at 4:30am near where i think is roosting trees........im set up ready to try my hand at this hunting thing and turkey starts to gobble, i try to draw him my way and use my striker a bit....sun starts to come out....and i wait....and wait.....turkey gobble again for about another 20 minutes so........ I am excited...this is my first time hunting year ever and now i am alone......i hear some hens going and another gobble......but with the creek at my right i cant really tell where they are coming from so i just sit some more....i use my striker again and call a bit more......and then it happened.......i am sitting in my seat and a big ole tom drops from his roost (which is right over my head) lands in my lap......he thinks i am a bush evidently......and i startled a bit....tried to get him off me and get my wits about me....and his spurs go in my chest and neck area and gives me a good cutting......10 stitches.....it happened so quick i didnt know what to do......so now i am on a mission to have that tom on my table for dinn dinn.....if i hadnt been there i wouldnt have believed this story but let me tell you...i had a hurt on and bruises everywhere from his wings......now that is what i call pecking order and extremely good camo bush material.......guess i blended in huh......lmao

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
That is a crazy story, you might want to set up a little farther from the roost next time  ;). I've had turkeys real close and deer almost step on me, but that is nuts.

I was with my father a few years ago and he had a big tom strutting back and forth for the longest time 15-20yds in front of him. But this big doe was standing between them broadside and didn't move the entire time until the tom gave up and left. My father who is the calmest most logical guy I've ever met got up afterward and said "I've never wanted to kill a f****ng deer so bad in my life". He had been hunting that bird for two seasons.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »
That is a crazy story, you might want to set up a little farther from the roost next time  ;). I've had turkeys real close and deer almost step on me, but that is nuts.

I was with my father a few years ago and he had a big tom strutting back and forth for the longest time 15-20yds in front of him. But this big doe was standing between them broadside and didn't move the entire time until the tom gave up and left. My father who is the calmest most logical guy I've ever met got up afterward and said "I've never wanted to kill a f****ng deer so bad in my life". He had been hunting that bird for two seasons.

it sure was funny......i will get him this year for sure.......he is sneaky but i will have him.......i probably wouldnt have been so logical about the deer...but this is my second season and i dont think he gonna live after the beatin i took........he is d e a d dead!  lol >:(

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
Never had one attack before... :o  But have had coyotes stalk to within a foot or so... :o
Did have one start gobbling after my brother and I set up in the dark one morning. I was about 30 yards behind him and as it was getting light it gobbled. My brother called me on his radio and said Wow!! He's close!!!
As the light began to brighten, there in the tree my brother was sitting against was a real nice bird. ;D Didn't work out to well, he refused to fly down and flew off after a few minutes. :(

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Never had one attack before... :o  But have had coyotes stalk to within a foot or so... :o
Did have one start gobbling after my brother and I set up in the dark one morning. I was about 30 yards behind him and as it was getting light it gobbled. My brother called me on his radio and said Wow!! He's close!!!
As the light began to brighten, there in the tree my brother was sitting against was a real nice bird. ;D Didn't work out to well, he refused to fly down and flew off after a few minutes. :(
  he didnt attach me so to speak.....he was coming off the roost and i was imitating a bush (evidently i did a very good impression) and he landed on my bush....

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Ok Raquette you wanted to hear my turkey story so here it goes......about the fifth time last year every out hunting turkey......im by myself sitting at 4:30am near where i think is roosting trees........im set up ready to try my hand at this hunting thing and turkey starts to gobble, i try to draw him my way and use my striker a bit....sun starts to come out....and i wait....and wait.....turkey gobble again for about another 20 minutes so........ I am excited...this is my first time hunting year ever and now i am alone......i hear some hens going and another gobble......but with the creek at my right i cant really tell where they are coming from so i just sit some more....i use my striker again and call a bit more......and then it happened.......i am sitting in my seat and a big ole tom drops from his roost (which is right over my head) lands in my lap......he thinks i am a bush evidently......and i startled a bit....tried to get him off me and get my wits about me....and his spurs go in my chest and neck area and gives me a good cutting......10 stitches.....it happened so quick i didnt know what to do......so now i am on a mission to have that tom on my table for dinn dinn.....if i hadnt been there i wouldnt have believed this story but let me tell you...i had a hurt on and bruises everywhere from his wings......now that is what i call pecking order and extremely good camo bush material.......guess i blended in huh......lmao

Great story Loony...    I would have had to change my booty shorts after that..... ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal