Author Topic: The ehd thing, and the DNR's cover up.  (Read 5957 times)

Offline REALITYCHECK

• Nubbie
The ehd thing, and the DNR's cover up.
« on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Here is my take on this. 

It has come through my happy hunting grounds and wiped out 98% of the deer.  It sucks, but I am over it.  This thread is not a pissing and moaning one about my boohoooo deer hunting season :o  I would like to focus on the DNR and how they are handling this.

For starters the DNR can't do a thing about ehd.  But they can inform hunters of the issues that come with it.  I think for the most part they have explained the technical aspect of it.  If you want to learn more about ehd, you have the web at your finger tips to do so.  What the DNR is also doing, is not enlightening everybody how bad this disease has effected the deer population in Southern MI..  Why?  Some may argue "the DNR just doesn't know".  Others wold say," it is no biggie, it has been happening for years". 

Let me speculate for a minute and float these ideas by you.  The DNR knows how bad the situation really is.  But is running a heavy public relations campaign covering extent of the damage EHD has done.  As I write this EHD continues to spread and will do so until our first hard frost in Southern MI.  The reason the DNR is not acknowledging and informing hunters of ehd more is simple.  MONEY!!!! They want your money through deer hunting licenses.  And which area in michigan buys the most deer licenses?  Ya southern michigan.  So when Jan. comes, and you here  many people complaining about not seeing as many deer in Southern MI.  And the DNR says "WE DIDN"T KNOW NUFFIN!!"   remember I told you so.  The only thing the dnr has managed to do is take your money, Management of deer in MI is a joke.  ESPECIALLY....... compared to other states with excellent deer hunting.  I know EHD isn't controlled by any one person.  But what it does show, is the Michigan DNR's  blatant disrespect to all hunters young and old concerning the management of one of this state's most important natural resources.

PS.  I will not be buying a deer license in MI this year.  I would urge you to also buy as few license's need this year.  It is time to teach the DNR a lesson.  Hit them in the pocket book.  They will start to listen. Lord knows they don't at there "Public Meetings"...... >:(
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2012, 12:34:54 PM by REALITYCHECK »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: The ehd thing, and the DNR's cover up.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
That  really stinks that, that happened to you guys.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about the deer population in your area!!  With that said, I just typed in "EHD Deer" on a google search - And the Michigan DNR site was at the top of the search engine results. 

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=ehd+deer&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW

It looks to me like a pretty comprehensive report on the problems deer are having in Michigan...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150-26647--,00.html

Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »

So from what I've read that they aren't going to do anything to try to prevent the spread of the disease, that really sucks. I hpoe they get the message & start thinking about doing something about it!

Offline REALITYCHECK

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »
Well, I am updating this thread for others dealing with EHD. Our deer herd has not bounced back since my last post. We have maybe 10% of the deer herd we used to have. I predict it will take another 3-4 yrs to get back to normal. Most of my friends and family have stopped deer hunting altogether, in hopes that it will speed up the recovery of the herd. Everybody has stopped buying licenses. Stopped buying deer hunting gear etc.

The michigan dnr describes WHAT ehd is. But continuous to ignore the lack of deer in effected areas. I have decided that any management or monitoring of our local herd will be done by us. The Michigan DNR continues to be a joke. I decided to leave michigan and hunt elsewhere. And quite frankly wish michigan would adopt other state's approach to deer management.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal