Author Topic: Finally connected  (Read 7072 times)

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
Finally connected
« on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
Finally was able to get out after having to stay home watching the kids for almost 2 weeks while the wife is getting all the overtime she can. Snuck out Saturday morning and made the most of it when this boy came in right on cue to my mock scrape. 15 yard shot and the best part was having my 8 year old son help track him. He only went 50 to 60 yards

halfrack33

Re: Finally connected
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
great one! bigger than any ive shot... what did you do to make the mock scrape if you don't mind me asking?

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
Here's one of me and my boy. Can't wait just 2 more years and he'll be able to start bow hunting.

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
great one! bigger than any ive shot... what did you do to make the mock scrape if you don't mind me asking?
I just found a small overhanging branch that was within range of my stand and scraped away the leaves and dirt with a stick and added some buck scent. I think it's called active scrape. I had a real scrape 20 yards on the other side of my stand that's been well used also. My trail camera caught three different
bucks using it( this guy wasn't one of them). I also kept that one docotored up with the same lure.

Offline doublelungshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2008, 04:38:47 AM »
Congrats on the buck
A.K.A. Polebender

Stay Safe Strap Yourself Into Your Tree.

upstatehunter

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2008, 05:14:43 AM »
Way to make the most of limited time. Also great job getting your kids involved, the memories will be forever.
Congrats on a super deer and hunt.

halfrack33

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »
I just found a small overhanging branch that was within range of my stand and scraped away the leaves and dirt with a stick and added some buck scent. I think it's called active scrape. I had a real scrape 20 yards on the other side of my stand that's been well used also. My trail camera caught three different
bucks using it( this guy wasn't one of them). I also kept that one docotored up with the same lure.

ok i didn't know if you roughed up a branch above it as a licking branch and put any gland scent on it. thanks for the info and again great job!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »
Great job, Congrats on the great looking buck. Nice job using a mock scrape to perk his interest.

Offline Bgreen02

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
Nice buck. the mock scrape is a good idea might have to use that this year

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »
ok i didn't know if you roughed up a branch above it as a licking branch and put any gland scent on it. thanks for the info and again great job!
It wouldn't hurt if you had some of that forehead gland scent but I've always just used the buck urine in the dirt. Just a couple drops every 3rd or 4rth day.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
nice deer brooks!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
nice deer brooks!
Thanks, It was definitely a heavy body but the DNR said it was only 2 1/2years old

Offline mbrooks

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
I still have these two guys roaming past my stand while I'm not out there. I hope to see them for the 15th if I don't get a chance to get out there sooner. The seven pointer looks like a pig. His belly is sagging and his back is swayed like he may be a mature deer??? any opinions?

upstatehunter

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »
looks like he is older, maybe injured or something to make the rack like that. Nice to see they do make rounds, the guys here don't believe me that the deer go in a route in a circle may be two days before they come back to a spot. Keeps them from over browsing an area.

Offline Parker84

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »
looks like a 2 1/2 year old deer to me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal