Author Topic: Moose  (Read 2597 times)

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
Moose
« on: Jun 02, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
I was up fishing around north east carry last weekend and I could not get over how many moose I saw and how bad they looked. I know the are dropping the winter coat but a lot of them looked in real rough shape. It wasn't much of a winter I figured they would be in good shape.

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
Re: Moose
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2012, 06:24:45 AM »
The wife and I saw a moose on Rt 9 yesterday morning. A nice bull with almost 2 feet of antler already.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Sometimes not enough snow is almost as bad as to much. My wife almost hit one the other night in Waterboro.

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
Our Moose season will most likly be closed this year due to the dramatic decrease in numbers in the last few years .Around here it might look like they are shedding there winter coats ,but in most cases it was Ticks that were doing the damage ? Seems to be a real issues for some provinces up here .Hope you guys fair better then we have .

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
Hearing good reports from the Allagash this year.  Last year at this time they were finding yearling moose dead almost daily from tick kills over the winter.  They haven't found any this year.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Hearing good reports from the Allagash this year.  Last year at this time they were finding yearling moose dead almost daily from tick kills over the winter.  They haven't found any this year.
That sure does sound good we hunt  not very far from there , there sure are plenty of them around where we go hunting  ;) ;) ;D ;D :)

Offline Wolley

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

My mother lives in Rangeley and unfortunetly she was telling me the opposite. Lots of moose found dead intact as the snow melted with apparent tick problems.  :'( Im not really clear on what the ticks do to kill them other than just way to many at once.
wake up America www.infowars.com

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2012, 05:17:23 AM »
My mother lives in Rangeley and unfortunetly she was telling me the opposite. Lots of moose found dead intact as the snow melted with apparent tick problems.  :'( Im not really clear on what the ticks do to kill them other than just way to many at once.

Too bad, was really encouraged to hear the Allagash report. Basically the ticks just suck the life out of the young/older/weaker moose.  A strong healthy moose can house a lot more ticks and survive than a young or really old moose.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
The moose ticks are a big problem in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont! The ticks will suck the blood right out of the moose and what often happens is the moose rub their hair off on trees trying to rid of them and when it drops down cold they freeze to death with the lack of hair! What a aweful way to go! What is needed are some extremely cold winters to kill off the ticks even if we lose more moose! Otherwise mark my words the moose population will be devestated to nothing in another 5 years!

Offline Brewerbass

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
  Do you believe the current count that Lee Kantar has put out or do you only believe what you think you see?  If the count is even close, then a few moose lost to winter kill is not going to hurt.  It could be argued that the winter tick kill is more from having too many moose and that is allowing the ticks to get out of control.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
I will assure you the lee kantar and the state will tell you what they want to hear! The state, no matter which one, is all about the money brought in from permits and liscense's! I have seen this whole tick deal firsthand and it is just plain sick and gruesome! Dont take my word though ask a shedhunter or logger that has spent some time in a moose wintering area what they have seen!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal