Author Topic: New Gun  (Read 12346 times)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: New Gun
« Reply #30 on: Jun 03, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
Well if I could hit them with 3 or 4 shots I'd take more. I need to practice I guess.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
« Reply #31 on: Jun 03, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
Well I guess I am the odd man out in this one. Sorry to make anyone mad, but that is they way I was taught to hunt growing up. Tracking and still hunting. Keep shooting until you see it go down, I know it is not the perfect way to do it but if I watch the deer drop I know I won't have to worry about loosing it.  If I had one standing broadside and one shot would do it that would be great. But when you jump one out of its bed that you have been following for a couple miles and it runs away you bet I am going to try and get it. Some times the bullets find the trees, some times I miss and some times I plant all of them. My PB was 207 lbs put 2 in his shoulder one grazed his neck and I missed one. But I saw him drop about 100 yards from me. Everyone likes to hunt differently. But I will also say I have never hit a deer and lost it.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #32 on: Jun 03, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
The shooting at running deer topic has been beat to death here in the past. No one is mad, nothing wrong with still hunting and tracking either. I have shot far more deer on the move than I have standing still also. Just felt that it would be unlikely to have the opportunity to shoot the majority of your bucks with 3 or 4 "slugs". I should not have assumed anything, however I have jumped many many deer in New England and not often do you get enough clear shooting to pull off a quality second or third shot where I have been. I'm getting old so maybe the reflexes aren't what they once were.  ;D A 207# buck is a fine trophy so your doing something right.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #33 on: Jun 03, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
 ::)................................
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #34 on: Jun 03, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

Not mad here either , just joining in on the chat . I don't take running shots because I SUCK AT IT . So I hunt from a stand and wait for a good shot , or still hunt and try for a standing still shot , or at least not a full out sprint . Again to each their own I do not judge . 207 is a hog dude outwieghed both of my deer put together last year  :o :o :o ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
« Reply #35 on: Jun 03, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
Well I'm glad I didn't  make any enemies on here yet   8). We all have different hunting styles and no one is better than the other. Good hunting.

Offline braaap-n-trap

• Nubbie
« Reply #36 on: Jun 03, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
I got a model 750 in a .308 carbine and mine jams up as well my girl freinds father is retired from the. shooting gallery at Remington he told me I gotta send it in and have my clips bent for the gun to shoot right

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Jun 04, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »
your synthetic set up weighs 7lbs. ( BARs 7.6lbs. not much difference ) ???  ;D

If we're going to split hairs, I just weighed my rig on my fish scale, loaded, with a scope and sling and it is 6.37lbs. That's over 1 lbs difference which is a lot on the backside of the next ridge. I had a BAR I know what they weigh, I'm a Browning fan, just not the BAR. My A-Bolt weighs less than my Weatherby or my Winchester Feather weight. I have bolt guns, I just don't hunt with them much if I'm on the move, which is most of the time, just don't like the way they carry. I'm not one to carry a gun on the sling until I'm dragging or maybe walking the road back after quitting time, the sling stays in my pocket until then.
As far as shooting running deer, if you're not confident enough in your shooting ability, don't take the shot. I'm pretty much the same way, If I get a good shot I'll take it, running or not, because I'm  ready for it and I'll take another one or two if I have the chance, I'd rather ruin a little more meat than lose the buck of a lifetime because I didn't shoot. I won't just go blazing away through the brush at brown moving, but if I have a good shot I take it every time.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm just going to have to try it when i get some time
Best thing you could do with that bar,Chuckie, is sell it to someone for a boat anchor! ;D If I remember right the last time you shot with me and lyle it wouldnt hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it! ;) Or maybe that was just your shooting! :o

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
LOL

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jul 16, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Best thing you could do with that bar,Chuckie, is sell it to someone for a boat anchor! ;D If I remember right the last time you shot with me and lyle it wouldnt hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it! ;) Or maybe that was just your shooting! :o

Remember know that guns is alot older them you something I had for awhile something you can't do and don't know how to do  ;)

Offline MagallowayMountainMan

• Nubbie
« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2012, 04:43:58 AM »
I finally went out and bought the new deer rifle i have always wanted. The Remington 7600, been looking at them for a while but pulled the trigger (no pun intended) this weekend. Been hunting the last 5 years or so with the 750 woodsmaster and not a big fan of it. Killed some big deer with it actually my PB, but never could get over the jamming issues with it. I'm excited about getting into the wood with it this fall just and just wanted people to know.

I've hunting with 750 woodsmaster for years, and never had any reliability issues with it. I've always made sure to use 180 grain Core-lock since they are more rounded. I've encountered issues with lower grain ammo, since it’s usually more pointed. What type of ammo you using?

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #42 on: Aug 16, 2012, 06:50:02 AM »

I've hunting with 750 woodsmaster for years, and never had any reliability issues with it. I've always made sure to use 180 grain Core-lock since they are more rounded. I've encountered issues with lower grain ammo, since it’s usually more pointed. What type of ammo you using?
I use the same ammo with my 740 , the 150 psp get stuck on the lip , and seem to pull thru the caseing more too .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #43 on: Aug 16, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
I use the same ammo with my 740 , the 150 psp get stuck on the lip , and seem to pull thru the caseing more too .

Mookster, switch to a bolt action, problems disappear and they are more accurate.

Peddler  ;D
Peddler

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Aug 16, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »

I use those in my 740 as well but the cycle flawlessly?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal