Author Topic: Busted hunt  (Read 1200 times)

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
Busted hunt
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »

Hi everyone, I just got back from my Maine hunting trip. My friend & I got into camp @ 0930 on the 12th unpacked our truck then around 1130 we decieded to do some scouting around. We went up this old logging road & a sappling went thru our radiator { without our knowledge} well an yway we were driving no coolant you can guess what happened. I don't if you all remember my earlier post {heading to Maine} but are camp is in the NORTH MAINE WOODS & not many people are hunting there. Well we ended walking 6 miles back to our camp. WE hunted on sat. then on Monday we went out Ashland to the auto parts store to try to get a new radiator, they were very hepfull but could not come up with one so the closest toyota dealer is in Houlton, they ordered one it would be in Teusday around noon so when we got there they told us that the truck coming up from Boston broke down. I guess you can we were pretty perturbed by now, well my friend went back on Wed. { I went hunting saw alot of tracks some scrapes & alot of rubs} got a new radiator ,we put it in but apparently he had drove to long w/out coolant. We towed it to Portage called his son inlaw {who ownes a auto repair & towing bussiness } he was there in 8 hr w/my new truck 2011 toyota picked up his truck. Buy the time we got home on Sat. he had a motor in& running. So back to hunting I did see some Doe's but was not able to get sight of a buck. but it does tell me that deer are there, its not like it was but they are coming back. All in all I njoyed hunting camp & being w/my friends that I only see once a year.  And I'd like to say thanks to all the people of maine woh helped us.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
Re: Busted hunt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:19:58 AM »
Glad to hear you made the best of an otherwise unfortunate situation.  Tires have always been my achilles heel when hunting up north, which is pretty easy to deal with - I can't imagine a blown radiator. 
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »
Guess it wasn't dull was it. Too bad you spent so much time chasing part's.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline heavycat78

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Glad you still had a good time and hopefully your bad luck is behind you. Happy Hunting to ya!

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
Had a flat once some 30 miles from pavement.....no jack and the spare was still under the truck w/ no way to lower it. Buddy and I built a fulcrum, chisled off the cable w/ a screw driver, remover lugs w/ a pair of vice grips and changed the tire. Only took 3 or 4 hours but your radiator mishap beats me hands down.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal