Author Topic: Sick deer???  (Read 12086 times)

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
Sick deer???
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
I just returned from a deer hunt on Marylands Eastern shore,Chestertown area. Two of my hunting buddies shot 1 deer each that were very sick. They both had diarrhea very badly,it covered their tail and legs. When they dragged one the hair came off and they were both in very poor condition,so poor and sickly they were both discarded. I also found where deer had had the "runns or diarrhea" in the woods on two different properties. I had read that CWD had been identified in a western county but not in the Chestertown area. One hunter said he thought it could be "Blue tongue". Have any of you seen this before? These deer were shot fri and sat so I could contact a bio and have them checked out as they were left in the woods.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Sick deer???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
You should have called DNR and reported any sick deer immediately. I don't think it would be a wise idea to call them now and tell them you left them in the woods. Personally I saw twenty dead deer over Fri & Sat. all healthy corn and soy bean eaters. Maybe the deer your buddies shot just had the mud butt from the swamp water.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2012, 04:54:41 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
Mud butt...... :o :o
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
You should have called them right away...
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2012, 06:22:08 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
That's very interesting, I have never seen those symptoms in a deer.  It would be interesting to hear from a biologist as to what the likely cause was.  jperch

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:57:54 PM »
I'm thinking there must be a 1-800 # that would have gotten to a switchboard.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
I'm thinking there must be a 1-800 # that would have gotten to a switchboard.
Sure is its in the hunting manual. Wonder if anyone took the time to read it? If non residents want to shoot our deer at least read the manual. Here is a write up from DNR
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/deer/disease/cwdinformation.asp

Paragraph that should have been read.
How can I help?
You can help by reporting any deer that are emaciated, unhealthy or act abnormally to the MD DNR toll free number 1-(877) 620-8367 (ext. 8540). During hunting seasons, hunters may be asked by biologists for permission to collect brain tissue samples from harvested deer at meat processors

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
Sure is its in the hunting manual. Wonder if anyone took the time to read it? If non residents want to shoot our deer at least read the manual. Here is a write up from DNR
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/deer/disease/cwdinformation.asp

Paragraph that should have been read.
How can I help?
You can help by reporting any deer that are emaciated, unhealthy or act abnormally to the MD DNR toll free number 1-(877) 620-8367 (ext. 8540). During hunting seasons, hunters may be asked by biologists for permission to collect brain tissue samples from harvested deer at meat processors
Sence two were shot on the same 20 acre peice of land I thought it was common. We showed the deer to the land owner so dont give me the "Our Deer crap" they let the land owner chose what to do.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
Calm down scalloper........he was just pointing out that there should have been more first hand responsibillity by the hunter. We all have a duty to the resource. Live and learn.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Sence two were shot on the same 20 acre peice of land I thought it was common. We showed the deer to the land owner so dont give me the "Our Deer crap" they let the land owner chose what to do.
Sounds like you have a guilty conscious. I guess that's what unethical hunters do. By the way the deer belong to the state not the landowner. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 07:08:50 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
YEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYEYE

Offline frank9pt

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
For Release: IMMEDIATE         Tuesday, January 10, 2012                                                                                         DEC Amends Chronic Wasting Disease Regulations in Response to Maryland Discovery

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has revised its Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) regulations to prohibit the importation of certain parts of white-tailed deer taken in the state of Maryland effective immediately, DEC Commissioner Joe Martens announced today.
 The first case of CWD in the state of Maryland was confirmed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources last year. In response, DEC has amended its CWD regulations to prohibit the importation of the following parts of deer taken in Maryland: brain, eyes, spinal cord, tonsils, intestinal tract, spleen or retropharyngeal lymph nodes.
 "Hunters who take a deer in Maryland must butcher the animal and remove the prohibited parts before entering New York State," Commissioner Martens said.  "Most successful hunters will opt to butcher a deer and put the meat in a cooler before traveling back to New York."
 DEC has conducted an extensive surveillance program since CWD was first confirmed in New York State in 2005 and has not discovered any additional cases of CWD since that time.  CWD is a contagious neurological disease affecting deer, elk and moose. It causes a characteristic spongy degeneration of the brains of infected animals resulting in emaciation, abnormal behavior, loss of bodily functions and death.
 It is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted. The infectious agent, a prion, may be passed from animal to animal through feces, urine or saliva. The minimal incubation period between infection and development of clinical disease appears to be about 16 months. The maximum incubation period is unknown, as is the point at which shedding of the CWD agent begins during the prolonged course of infection.
 The movement of infectious material is believed to be one route of transmission. This amendment to the CWD regulations will prohibit the importation of those parts of a deer where the disease is most likely to be found. DEC advises hunters not to consume the meat of any animal that acts abnormal and to exercise precautions when butchering animals, such as using rubber or latex gloves.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
Looks like this is gonna deter New Yorkers.

Offline frank9pt

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
I'd come down anytime. Would love some live action in January.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
I can show you what the healthy corn and soybean eaters look like. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal