Author Topic: Hunting in the rain  (Read 1847 times)

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
Hunting in the rain
« on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

How many of you went out this morning to hunt in the rain? I don't mind hunting in the rain when I'm already in the woods & it starts to rain, but to get up & find it raining it's a hard thing for me to get motivated & get out there. I compare it to the old saying "Why would I jump out of a perfectly good airplane"! Of course I'm retired, so I can hunt any day of the week, but for the guys still working you have to get out when you have the time. I did the same thing during my working yrs, but I never had any luck in the rain. I know a lot of guys prefer rain, they say it keeps your scent down.!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Hunting in the rain
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
Bow hunting I won't do if it's really raining. With a gun It's a whole new story. I love still hunting on those nasty days. Shot a lot of deer that way.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
Supposed to be better for duckin', but I had no motivation to go out by myself last Saturday for the opener.  If there had been someone else going with me, I bet it wouldn't have been a problem at all.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »
I've hunted my share in the rain, don't seem to see much movement, especially with a steady/heavy rain; light rains are better. I don't like taking a day of when hunting out of state so rainy days I'll set up my blind and stay dry(mostly). I have plenty of free-time in the Fall like the retired guys, so I don't mind skipping a rainy day or two when at home.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
When I was younger and hunting with a hunting party, always hunted in the rain. Had some good luck, but we were pushing the deer. These days I will stay out if it starts raining, but usually will not go out if it is raining when I get up. Like this morning. I got my first deer (6pt) in the rain many years ago. I can still see the smile on Dad's face. He pushed it to me. With the gear we have today, you can stay pretty dry sitting in the rain....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
Bow hunting I won't do if it's really raining. With a gun It's a whole new story. I love still hunting on those nasty days. Shot a lot of deer that way.
x2, harvested lots of deer in the rain.although today i only hunted for couple of hours,but its kind of tough to hunt past noon on sunday any way for me cause i would have to process the deer if i got 1 as i work out of town and leave my house at 2am on mon,so wouldn't get to it till next fri,if the weather was cool enough i wouldn't mind letting it hang a week
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
I practiced all summer long with my bow but I know a bad bit could happen. If it rains heavy I won't bother. Don't want any blood to get washed away.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
Didn't hunt today in the rain either...light rain good, down pour no thanks...wind and rain even worse...but on days like this I like to scout and move stands and cameras to minimize scent in the area that I'm wandering around...also it is a nice day to watch football...Go Bills... ;D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2012, 03:59:34 AM »
I don't mind it till I get soaked like a sponge ; Don't like to hunt the rain with the bow to much  ; I do some times

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »

Damn rain, another after noon w/a steady light rain, enough to make it miserable! >:(

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Been dry here so far, but warm; decided it was a good day to get the holding tank pumped otu on jy boat before winter storage.

Radar looks to be clearing, may be able to get out this afternoon. ;)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
Raining the harder the better. Ive shot most of my big bucks in terrible weather. I can get on em much better in the rain. Super hard poring rain they bed down and cant smell or hear well. I go in down wind into a known bedding area and crawl low and slow. One of my rifles is a rain rifle. Heavy wet snow is also my favorite time to hunt.

That's what it's about right there for me too.... ;)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »
Raining the harder the better. Ive shot most of my big bucks in terrible weather. I can get on em much better in the rain. Super hard poring rain they bed down and cant smell or hear well. I go in down wind into a known bedding area and crawl low and slow. One of my rifles is a rain rifle. Heavy wet snow is also my favorite time to hunt.
X-2 On the nasty snow day's   ;) ;) ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal