Author Topic: Which one?(Updated 4/1/09)  (Read 6443 times)

Offline BigRedDodge1500

• 6 Pointer
Re: Which one?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
If you are going to be chasing bears in the swamps of maine you might want to rethink your whole scenario. Generally your bigger bears will come to bay in the thickest nastiest places they can find. Your shots will usually be limited to 40 yards or less. These long barreled bolt guns you are considering aren't all that handy in these situations especially if topped with high powered optics. If you were bait hunting and have time to set up your shot fine. What you will find most hound hunters using in the thick area's are open sighted short barreled larger bore carbines. The old 35 remington pump and if you can find one remingtom chambered the 760 pump in 30-06 in a 18" barreled model. Your shots can come very fast and unpredictable and sometimes much closer than you want. Believe me, been there and done that. You are looking at 2 very different types of hunting for 2 different animals. Might want to look at 2 rifles suited to there perspective jobs instead of compromising. Yes for deer the 270 win. is an excellent choice.

I would have to agree with this as well.  For the short range brush hunting i do in NH i use a Ruger Deerfield Carbine Semi in 44 mag.  18.5" barrell and 265 grain forty four mags put a great smackdown at anything with in 100 yards its got a great peep sight and cycles quickly.  I shot a doe in NH a couples years back and had 3 rounds in her before she even went 15 yard. Little overkill but i was just really excited.

Offline youngcoyotehunter16

• Spiked
  • Stay true, Hunt Blue
Re: Which one?
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2009, 07:02:28 AM »
OK. If I do buy 2 rifles, I really like the 270wsm. What about a 45-70. I know a few people who use one for bear. The next question is, how does this caliber perform in a marlin lever action?
In the words of a true coon hunter, When the tailgate drops, the bull@$%* stops.

aka: brookiebandit13 (IS) (MFF)

Offline Long Shot

• Spiked
Re: Which one?(Updated 4/1/09)
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
The 45-70 or the .444 in the Marlin is a tried and true combination. To accommodate the larger shells of this caliber everything about this lever gun is large, Therefore heavy. If weight is not an issue it would be a good choice. Myself, I like to be as light as possible. Now on to the 270. This depends on how deep your pockets are. You can probably come close to purchasing 2 used guns that will fit your ticket for what you are going to dish out to set up a new 270wsm. Time is on your side for used guns. You have 6 months to watch the classifieds. You may find something that isn't mentioned here at all but will do a wonderful job of dispatching whitetail. I am glad to see you are keeping an open mind to caliber selection. If you truly want to understand ballistics buy a copy of the sierra bullets loading manual. The manual contains a whole section on exterior ballistics. Information we used to make long shots way before laser rangefinders and dial a scopes. Seeing as your father reloads, get him a copy for fathers day and you will kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Velocity is energy, energy is shock, shock is killing power. Love those cartridges that exceed 4,000 fps.

Offline youngcoyotehunter16

• Spiked
  • Stay true, Hunt Blue
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »
dad has a speer reloading manual. Just as i was reading your posts i found an ad in the paper for a remington 700 cdl 270wsm. Price is $700. Is this gun worth 700? thanks
In the words of a true coon hunter, When the tailgate drops, the bull@$%* stops.

aka: brookiebandit13 (IS) (MFF)

Offline Long Shot

• Spiked
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
I just paid $600 for a NEW 700 vss in 204 Ruger.Might be a little pricing difference between models. Stop by your local gun shop and price a new one. 20-30 percent off the retail price would bring you to wholesale and deduct used off of that equation. Does this rifle have a scope? If so what is it, a $59 bushnell or a $500 Leuopold. Does it come with a hard case? Does he have any ammunition? Does it look like it fell down a mountain? How many rounds have been fired through it? Why is he selling it?(shoots poorly?) Find the answers to these questions and you will have your answer. If you think it's a good price for a used firearm continue. And finally will he negotiate price? Do not ask this question. Carry a pocket of $100-5 for starters make the opening offer with the cash in your hand. Cash is buying power. You are holding that power in your hand, visibly, Tell him how many lawns you mowed and gardens you weeded to make that $500. Tell him there is another advertised for $600 you need to look at. (I'm sure there is somewhere) If he won't accept 500 look at your dad and ask to borrow a 100. Hopefully your negotiations will end there.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009, 08:27:29 AM by Long Shot »
Velocity is energy, energy is shock, shock is killing power. Love those cartridges that exceed 4,000 fps.

Offline outbackshooter

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
I think the .270 win is the perfect all around caliber.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
  • I grunt, therfore I am.
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Your not the only one! I did a recent survey under DEER HUNTING asking the same question. Im new at rifle ,old at sluggin. so i needed some expertice.. Lots of qualified shooters and ballistics pros responded.  Survey sez  FOR DEER whities and mulies.. 270 win or wsm. although longshot had decent arguments for the 25.06  As soon as i can afford it im in with a 270 WIN.   Yeah baby!
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline Long Shot

• Spiked
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »
Swede, you will be very happy with your caliber selection for deer. You can buy ammo for it any place. For the whitetail I would reccommend the 130 grain bullet. Velocity is around 3,000 fps.at the muzzle. At 200 yards it still carries just under 2,000 ft lbs. of energy. I own one in a Browning BAR. It is a little fussy on ammo. It shoots hornady bullets a little over an inch (group size) at 100 yards. Sierra bullets are shooting in the 2.5 inch range. Don't be afraid to try a couple different brands if you aren't getting satisfactory performance. Keep the barrel clean. If you buy a used gun I always treat the barrel for copper fouling. Google it. Way to long to discuss here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal