Author Topic: Maine Moose WMD3??  (Read 5664 times)

Offline TJB107

• Nubbie
Maine Moose WMD3??
« on: Jun 22, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Hey all,

I was lucky enough to get picked again in the moose lottery but the only thing is, it is not in WMD18 where my camp is.  I have an antlerless permit and like anyone else with a permit would like to fill it.  Unfortunetly, since I live in New York I will not be getting out for any scouting until the saturday before the hunt. I started looking into areas in that region such as caribou, stockholm and eagle lake. Do any areas provide better opportunities over the others. Any information would be great.

Thanks 

Tom

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Maine Moose WMD3??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
Welcome to the site and good luck filling your tag...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »
Welcome aboard, where's your camp in 18, that's where mine is too.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2011, 07:19:32 AM »
try looking into the moose swap. i havea friend who has already made a swap tis year fom 2 to 6

Offline TJB107

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
bogmanjr,

We are out in greenfield.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
I'm not too far north of you in Burlington, I could have pointed you to a few good areas near camp. Not too familiar with the Northwoods though. Good luck filling the tag.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline TJB107

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Bogmanjr,

How's the deer hunting been up there?

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »
Bogmanjr,

How's the deer hunting been up there?

It wasn't too bad around 2004-2005, then the few heavy snow winter's and cutting the winter yard's hit them pretty hard. There are a few there but they have a big home range. The buck's grow big though, always the chance to break the #200 mark.

Offline bdesjar1

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
My wife drew a cow tag in zone 3 as well, what season do you have? Had that zone once before and stayed over in the Portage lake area. Not sure what the 2nd week of november will bring though. Most likely SNOW!!!!

Offline Wolley

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
You can try the moose swap website and maybe get a trade for something. I think you will much better in zone 3. There is a lot better success rate up there and definately way more moose. I think you best bet would be to stay with an outfitter that will set you up with a place to stay in the zone and maybe take care of supplying you with meals. Then all you will have to worry about is finding a moose.
wake up America www.infowars.com

Offline TJB107

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
bdesjar1,

I have the last week in september.  How was the the hunt the first time you went?  Did you see as many moose as there seems to be up there?  When I got picked in 18 I saw two moose a cow on the first day and a bull on the last which i was able to take.

Offline ADKDON

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
I was a sub permittee last year in zone 6 November week, and seen lots of small bulls nothing realy big but they where there.  We had a cow tag and didnt see a cow till wednesday all the moose we seen were young bulls.  This year i was lucky enogh to draw a bull tag for zone 6 october and plan on hunting the same area.  We hunted around the Portage Lake area Beaver Brook Rd.  Lots of other hunters in the area but only for a couple of days beacuse they filled their tags.  We stayed up in Eagle Lake with an outfitter but did a self guided hunt.

Offline Lobsta54

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »
first or 2nd season.??

I know where not to go if that helps

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal