Author Topic: acorns  (Read 3773 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
acorns
« on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:10:05 AM »
Took a walk to check deer sign in my regular area, tons of acorns in the concord area. Anyone else seeing this?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: acorns
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:45:44 AM »
Same situation everywhere else, deer don’t even need to get out of bed to feed. State said harvest is down 22%. 22% more broken ankles too… ok, I made that part up. You definitely could roll your ankles out there this year though lol.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
Same situation everywhere else, deer don’t even need to get out of bed to feed. State said harvest is down 22%. 22% more broken ankles too… ok, I made that part up. You definitely could roll your ankles out there this year though lol.

Same down here in RI. scouted yesterday.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »
not a lot of big ones and the first ones to drop are brown inside with worms

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »
It's absolutely amazing the acorns I have around the area I hunt!! Good luck trying to figure them out this year...

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »
yup. hit one of my favorite areas this past weekend for the first time this year. tons of oaks in there.. it was like walking on marbles!

cameras showed lots of deer in the area feeding on em so..

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
Definitely hard to pattern them this year. Like others said, they pretty much dont have to leave their bedding area.

I smoked a decent doe tonight. She was loaded with acorns. No greens at all in there, pure acorn diet. 

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2019, 05:07:37 AM »
Nice work Jason! Look forward to the post.

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:43:25 AM »
Nice work Jason!!!
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:53:57 AM »
The acorns in my yard are huge this year. I have heard that the ridges are loaded this year also. Lots of mast makes my hunting hard as I don't hunt UP at my age, very far. The acorns will be cleaned up and the deer will have to move to where I am hunting....lol...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
find a nice water hole in and around an oak grove and the deer won't be moving too far. definitely be looking for water this year.

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
We have a stupid amount of acorns down here on the sea coast just like everywhere else apparently.

Does anyone lend any credence to hunting over white oaks vs red oaks? A friend of mine has been telling me he only hunts white oaks for reasons he can’t explain (he said his dad always did it growing up). Is this just a sort of habit turning into a strategy or do Bambi’s really prefer the white oak acorns?

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »
Nice work Jason! Look forward to the post.
No post. Thanks though. Just a run of the mill 100 lb freezer meat doe.
Honestly, it was dark and I didn't even take a picture of it.  :o
Already in the freezer.
Now to find MR BIG....

Offline gamefisher

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
We have a stupid amount of acorns down here on the sea coast just like everywhere else apparently.

Does anyone lend any credence to hunting over white oaks vs red oaks? A friend of mine has been telling me he only hunts white oaks for reasons he can’t explain (he said his dad always did it growing up). Is this just a sort of habit turning into a strategy or do Bambi’s really prefer the white oak acorns?

They definitely prefer the white acorns because they are less bitter to them but will eat the red ones for sure when the white ones are gone.  They wont have to travel to far for a feed in a lot of places this year for sure!  They love the little silver dollar size mushrooms and they are on them hard right now.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
They definitely prefer the white acorns because they are less bitter to them but will eat the red ones for sure when the white ones are gone.  They wont have to travel to far for a feed in a lot of places this year for sure!  They love the little silver dollar size mushrooms and they are on them hard right now.

Spot on

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal