Author Topic: Pa mentoring program  (Read 1807 times)

Offline stonecat

• Spiked
Pa mentoring program
« on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
Recently the local paper ran a photo of a 4 year old and a spike taken under this program.Not to single out the party involved and I'm am not against mentoring but I question the lack of age limitations. Could a 4 year old handle something adequate to fairly hunt deer? Emotionally should a 4 year old be involved? Here's the link to the Game Comm. program:http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=622413&mode=2  Comments?
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2015, 09:41:53 AM by stonecat »

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
Re: Pa mentoring program
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
Being in the midst of mentoring my own son and this year being his 12th he took all the required courses set here and passed and shot his first deer . But to think that he would have done this at the tender age of 4 ? I don't think so , my thoughts mind you , but that is a very young age to put a rifle into a child's .....key word is child here .....hands . I didn't give my son a BB gun till he was 6 , and that was to understand the importance fo sighting etc , plinking was done , but knowing how a gun functions and what it's capabilities are was far more important to me . At seven I allowed him to shot sparrows etc , so he would understand that he could and did take a life  there's no taking back once that projectile is in flight , know what your decision is and be able to live with it ! From there I decided what he would use next , being young he thought he was prepared for everything now ....been there ..... an for me I wanted to see remorse , regret even , a compassion for what you shot / kill . Also you eat what you shot ....with exceptions of course .....and he has come along for the journey in grand style if I can say that . He now owns his own pump action 20 gauge ,has shot grouse , wants to go for duck/geese , owns a 30-06 ....not gun shy ....will get a muzzle loader this year for his 13th . The only gun I won't buy him which he wants but will have to do himself or at a later age maybe from me is a 22 . Where we live and with neighbours fairly close by I don't want bullets flying in the wrong direction and although I trust him completely ........it's just not the gun for a small acreage ..........................4 is just to young  a young adult yes , a child no !

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »

I agree that 4 is way too young to be given a rifle to shoot. I think the age should be 12 yrs. of age. I took my oldest son to Maine on a 10 day
     trip when he was 12 yrs. old, he had taken the required course to be able to get his license, and of course he had to be with an adult at all times. He was able
     to see a deer or 2 but did not get a shot at one.
          The emotional fact was mentioned in the 1st post, When my kids were small we raised our own pigs, beef and chickens, so they witnessed the slaughtering
    of our animals. I wanted to teach them that food does not only come in cellophane wrappers and to learn the importance of farming. As they grew older, in
    their teens they would say, "I'm going to live in the city and get my food from the store" Where do they live now in the country, with vegetable gardens and
    exploring the idea of raising their own meet. They do hunt and get a deer every year, they even take their own kids out with them when hunting from a blind.

Offline EricWil21

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
I agree that it's difficult to say at what age should a child be introduced to hunting.  There's a good article about it and I think it's worth the read as it talks about when and how to get children started.  https://outdoorempire.com/how-to-get-kids-into-hunting/

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
I love the idea, I live on the border of Pa and hunt both NY and PA each year!! maybe not deer but I plan to start my daughter around 5-6 depending on how she feels about it on small game with the program.. I believe the program allows youth to hunt deer, squirrel, rabbit, groundhog and a few other small game animals that I cant think of off the top of my head..

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:28:26 AM »
Small game would be good. My oldest is 6 and I plan on taking him for squirrels this year or next year.

My dad had me in the woods on watch solo at age 10 with a BB gun or 22 just to observe on my own. I remember my first trip ever he shot a 6 point and let me track it. I started hunting with a shotgun at age 12 solo. Back then the legal age was 14 for bow and 16 for gun. He would literally put me under a tree and go hunt on his own for the day. Maybe check on me midday and take me on a walk. He encouraged me to go explore, use my compass, and I always knew how to get out to a road if I got lost. I am really glad that he gave me free reign to learn a lot on my own.

For me it comes down to what the parents feel is okay.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal