Hunting by Game/Technique > Bear Hunting

different bait stations

(1/2) > >>

fly-in:
I know there is a forum about weather bear baiting sould be aloud, I agree with it and since I have never gone bear hunting I was wondering what kind of bait stations do you guys use. I want to do a bear hunt in the future at a remote cabin, it would mean getting the baits ready when the lakes are still frozen then flying in for a week. It will be lots of work, but since these will be unhunted bear there should be some really big boars up there. I just need to know some different ways to set up the bait.

thanks, Kent

J_Maki:
Most of my setups consits of cribbs for my meat products and a 50gal. drum chained 3 feet off the ground for dry baits such as oats, chips, bread, pastries etc. I also like to tie beaver carcasses five to six feet up a tree. I tie these really good so the bears have to work it. And lots of old frier grease spread on the ground so the bears step in it and and make scent trails all over woods to attract other bears to the bait station.

I make my cribbs out of 8-14ft logs, the cribbs allow for the meat to be consumed by other wildlife faster to prevent it from rottting. If your put your meat in a barrel you willl have a very stinky bait in the warm weather. Not to much fun to hunt over.

I like the plastic drums myself, I cut a three sided hole in the top leaving one side for a hinge then I cut two or three 1-2inch holes about 10-18 inches up from the bottom. With this set up the bears have to work the bait for their meal.

fly-in:
Thanks JM, where I want to try I would have to snowmobile everything up in the winter, then maybe set it all up on the last trip out, then let time take its course and fly in in May for a week, refreshing the baits and siting over them. So I need a set up that would hold enough to keep them comming for a while and a way to keep the small bears from stealing all the bait, So that is why I am looking for ideas on different ways to bait.

Kent

trapperdirk:
 Well flyin you will definately have to go to some system that holds volumes of bait but because of the time frame your under even this will be a challenge .
   Myself I have access to areas where I can bait daily and when we were allowed a spring bear hunt here this is what I did .

I would hang an onion bag with bait on a wire at chest height between two trees . Bears can get fussy and prefer nice fresh bait and in the spring I give him just enough of a feed to keep him in the area and don't want him to gorge himself so that he doesn't hit the bait daily . I want that bear coming in every day so that my client gets to take him the first night he sits on the bait . If he gorges himself he may not come in for a feed every day or be more cautious even, and also it allows him to energize more so that he can travel further a field . Old grease splashed on the trees and ground will get on his feet and leave scent trails away and towards the bait and you will be able to see how he plants his feet as he scratches the tree to lick at the grease which will give you some indication of his size .
   The wire strung between two trees and onion bag works well because no coons ect. can thieve the bait and when the bear stands and reaches for the bait you the hunter can sex the animal, see if its a lactating sow and gives you a quick shot at his exposed vitals . . You may wish to consider this when you finally do go back and set up to hunt it . This works for me in fall hunts too . Also keep them baits quite a distance apart so that your bears are not making rounds . You want a bear hitting the bait your sitting on . If you have them too close together you may find he's at one bait one night and at the other the next night or later that night . You want him there before dark that night . Good luck .

TD

MASTERGUIDE:
In an area that I have to go light, I use a cereal mix, it might be hard to find, but I can buy it by the 55 gal drums about a ten min drive from my house, the mix runs about $35 (its a sweet mix of sweet cereal that is left over stuff from general mills and stuff) and then a drum of mollasses for about ten bucks, and just some scents that I mix up sweet smelling stuff never hurts.  But anyway, that stuff lasts along time, you only need a little bit.  take a log and cut it out hollow, about a foot and a half long, and the hole should have about an 8 inch diameter.  Fill this hole up or even half way, depending on how much you want to spoil the bears, and put a rock big enought to cover the hole nicely, and big enough so coons can't tip it off, and put some sticks or dead logs around the bottom so no critters dig up underneath it, and that should be good, once they find it, they come in and hit it every day.  You can sometimes find them laying in wait for you to come, you can even beat on a 5 gal pail or tree with a stick, and make a dinner bell effect.  mollasses makes them mill around at the bait for a while, licking and stuff, and if you spray sweet smelling stuff on the trees, it makes the scent disperse and the bear come in faster, this helps alot when it is the baits first day out.  This works really good, so I hope this helps.

MASTERGUIDE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version