Author Topic: This whole youth hunt thing  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: This whole youth hunt thing
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)

By the way (imight have asked this already) but what part of MI are you in?
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
southwest corner.. just across the state line from south bend/ notre dame indiana

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Oh..  OK....   I lived up in Holland for several years...... ;D

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
nice! thats about and hour and half straight north of me.. i live in niles if you know where that is

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »
Yep...   Your not to far from Warren Dunes... ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011, 10:30:51 AM by Raquettedacker »

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
not far at all

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
Wasnt switching the NY gun opener from Monday, to the Saturday before an effort to get more youth hunters in the woods?...Im pretty sure it was.

I actually spoke with a CO last summer when my girlfriend took her bowhunter ed class about that very change in regulations and he told me it was a total flop.  He stated that youth participation dropped when opening day was changed from monday to saturday.  it seemed that the only reason a large majority of the kids were participating when it was on a Monday was because their fathers/parents were allowing them to skip school for the day.  When it was changed to a saturday and they wouldnt be getting out of school for it anymore they would rather be doing something else. 

Im all for increasing youth opportunities but do it on a trial basis and admit when you're wrong by switching it back.

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011, 01:12:46 PM by Inwellb4light »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline REALITYCHECK

• Nubbie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
Guys ok you all have raised some valid points.  I guess I need to be a little clearer with my intent. 

First, I am not picking on those early memories you had with your dad or grandpa hunting.  I have tons of good memories of my early years of hunting.  I am not going to even think about talking down on anything surrounding any of that.

Second, let me try to make my point a little clearer.  I do not think getting the youth involved with deer hunting at such a young age is helping anyone but the DNR.  Deer hunting means big money, no matter who does it or not.  And It just so happens that the MI DNR makes the most off of Deer hunting.  And so does everybody else.  But let me draw some comparisons. 

Let's say we want to get the youth involved in fishing.  So we let junior go to the trout stream with some weighted hooks to snag steelies in the river?  Or Maybe that is extreme. But how about we let junior fish for bass on the beds, and keep them before the season officially opens.  That is probably a better example.

Don't you think it is funny the state pushes deer hunting as a youth's first hunt?  Whatever happened to small game hunting?  Oh ya.....there is not as much money in that one for the state. 

I want the youth to have a strong showing in the hunting sports.  I just do not want to make exceptions  for the little ones, and give them a misrepresentation of what hunting really is like in MI.  I think the DNR is pulling on the heart strings of many a dad just to turn a profit.......all while saying "do it for the kids."
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2011, 06:23:41 PM by REALITYCHECK »

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
i agree with some of what you say and feel you are absolutly right about it being a money grab. ny is trying to do an early season youth deer hunt as well. i am all for giving youth hunters extra oppuurtunity but feel if a kid has the desire to hunt he will do so with or without a special season. would a special season recruit more hunters or r these kids going to hunt anyway? seems money is always a hidden agenda. last year we heard dec report more elder sportsmen were not buying licenses and the state is losing money. could be because they jacked up the prices again :o so this year lets introduce a youth season. these kids will make up for the lost revenue over there lifetimes ;)

Offline Swift

• Nubbie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Guys ok you all have raised some valid points.  I guess I need to be a little clearer with my intent. 

First, I am not picking on those early memories you had with your dad or grandpa hunting.  I have tons of good memories of my early years of hunting.  I am not going to even think about talking down on anything surrounding any of that.

Second, let me try to make my point a little clearer.  I do not think getting the youth involved with deer hunting at such a young age is helping anyone but the DNR.  Deer hunting means big money, no matter who does it or not.  And It just so happens that the MI DNR makes the most off of Deer hunting.  And so does everybody else.  But let me draw some comparisons. 

Let's say we want to get the youth involved in fishing.  So we let junior go to the trout stream with some weighted hooks to snag steelies in the river?  Or Maybe that is extreme. But how about we let junior fish for bass on the beds, and keep them before the season officially opens.  That is probably a better example.

Don't you think it is funny the state pushes deer hunting as a youth's first hunt?  Whatever happened to small game hunting?  Oh ya.....there is not as much money in that one for the state. 

I want the youth to have a strong showing in the hunting sports.  I just do not want to make exceptions  for the little ones, and give them a misrepresentation of what hunting really is like in MI.  I think the DNR is pulling on the heart strings of many a dad just to turn a profit.......all while saying "do it for the kids."
And your thoughts on 10yr olds having a liscense are..........................?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Welcome to the site Swift but REALITYCHECK came on and caused a ruckus and hasnt been back since....... ;D ;D ;D ;D   Hope you are having a good season......................

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
Welcome Swift.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Swift

• Nubbie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »
Welcome to the site Swift but REALITYCHECK came on and caused a ruckus and hasnt been back since....... ;D ;D ;D ;D   Hope you are having a good season......................
RC's fine, known him from other sites for years, simply likes to start deep discussions that unintentionally upsets some at times.~~~Weather isn't good for anything but yard work, waterfowl slow, squirrels biting the dust with regularity, waiting for gun Deer, ice and winter 'yotes. 

Offline REALITYCHECK

• Nubbie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
My thoughts on ten year olds having a license.  Small game perhaps with supervision. Anything bigger than small game. No way.  I see I am not the only one having these thoughts.  The opinions of several shows like Deer and Deer hunting.....and many opinion write ups in Michigan Outdoor News. Local news papers etc. are seeing this early hunt for what it is.  Even if I had not written my opinion. You would have read it somewhere else.  Once again though I had the ambition enough to say it first.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal