Author Topic: Owl Hooter  (Read 4325 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Owl Hooter
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
Been wanting a new owl call, the one I was using worked good but it wasn't easy to use and they only seem to last a couple years(Primos Power Owl) before the reed moved or would stick. The Harrison Hoot'n Stick by Hooks Custom Calls was the one that everyone seemed to recommend by far when I researched. Wanted to get one last year but they were sold out, got an email notice that they came in and ordered one. The sound is awesome and its easy to use, don't have to have your hands cupped just right like the old call. Should work great, worth the money. They make an expensive wooden one and a less expensive synthetic(plastic) version which is what I got.

http://www.hookscalls.com/inc/sdetail/harrison_hoot_n_stick_synthetic/98/142
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2013, 03:55:28 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Owl Hooter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
WHHHOOOOOO are you trying to contact lol....stupid joke

Offline Wyoming Larry

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
I have used a duck call instead of an owl call for quite a while now.  It works very well for locating gobblers still on the roost.  But I hunt in Wyoming where are turkeys may not be as educated as yours.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
I had the same issues with the primos only last a year then the reed would be messed up so switched to the knight and hale blasting chamber this year. I like it so far have yet to test it in the woods though. Let us know how it works captjj

Larry I have actually used a goose call before and got them to gobble.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 04:20:27 PM by hesseltine32 »

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
Based on the sound I should have a good report, best part is this thing is easy to use. One old bird I have been trying for near here really likes an owl call on the roost.

Funny what they will respond, too; the horn honk has worked for me when in a rush in the evening. One time I heard what I thought might be someone using a duck call while I was turkey hunting; got closer and it was a hen mallard protecting her nest from a coyote. Wierdest part was there was no water for 1/2 mi, don't know why she nested halfway up the mountain. :-\

Have an old crow call that can work, the birds on my friend's farm I hunt really like it; lots of crows there. Been experimenting with other things, an old police whistle hasn't worked yet. I had some jakes gobble back at a recording I just took of them gobbling on my phone. Still looking for a good pileated woodpecker call, maybe a coyote howler. Also been working on a decent gobble with a mouth call, had them answering last year; want to try it with the jake decoy soon.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 09:19:28 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
Its funny what they with gobble to. Iv shot a one before and had ones in the field over shock gobble back. I have had really good luck with a crow call. Just hammer on it normally get a shock gobble an some crows to come in and agitate them.  I think it's gotten some birds fired up where they would come in after
Here some birds on the roost.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal