Author Topic: 2018 hunting season stories, pics, and success/failures  (Read 24853 times)

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
Re: 2018 hunting season stories, pics, and success/failures
« Reply #30 on: Oct 27, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
Just got back from spending a few days at my buddy’s hunting camp down by Watkins Glen. There were 4 of us down there and only one doe seen from the tree stand between us. Saw quite a few scrapes and rubs down there. Before I left for camp I did a little rifle hunting in the northern tier. Didn’t see much. Just a few does and a spike. I’ll be hitting it hard with the bow the next couple weeks
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Oct 27, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
Last two nights ive watched small bucks scent check every doe in sight. Action is starting to pick up.  Noticed many new bucks showing up on cameras as well. 

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
Had a couple 8pts work there way in yesterday am. Looked like they were buddies.  Fed under the stand for half hr or so.  Crotchhorn came thru about 9 as i was getting down. Had a few things to get done. Looks like some warmer days ahead.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
Did a bow sit this morning. Had 2 small bucks and 2 fawns under my stand. The second buck came in to a blind grunt call. Things are slowly heating up.

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »

Last buck that made a rub like this on this set of trees scored 153.  Hope hes related.  Be nice if this winds dies down about now. Enjoy hearing footsteps in the crispy leaves.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
I did a bow sit yesterday evening. Saw 3 does. Lots of fresh scrapes and some really good bucks showing up on camera in this spot. One buck is a pope and young. Hopefully I can catch up to him soon

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »
I sat the evening watch with my bow yesterday afternoon. Had an 8 pointer come in and make a scrape 60 yards away. As he started walking away I tried throwing a call his way but he ignored it. On my way out I stalked up on a small 6 pointer and had him broadside at 15 yards. Didn’t shoot. It was his lucky day. This wind today should get rid of some of these leaves! I’ll be sitting all day tomorrow. Should be a good day to be out

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
Snuck up on 4 doe and a fawn yesterday, they were all bedded down because of wind and rain. I sat down and waited to see if the buck would show. I was watching through my binos,  and no headgear. After about an hour they all got up and started walking away. I should have sat tight for another 10 minutes after they left because he was bedded down 40 yards down the hill from them. I found this out as I started to follow them. Up and away he went presenting no shot. I did not push on him, I just backed out as I'm on vacation Thanksgiving week and don't want him leaving the area. 8 deer total yesterday. Good 2nd day other than the weather sucked.
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:37:28 AM »
Sounds like some good action guys. I did a sit Saturday night with the rifle and saw 1 small deer.

Looks like some cooler weather coming later this week.  ;D

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
Wasn't very motivated to hunt in NY this year, except for bears as I want to get one with my recurve. Started out in mid September for early bear for the first time ever. Ended up seeing 5 bears, mostly sows with cubs up in the oaks, so no shooting for me, plus saw a really nice 8 pointer up feeding on acorns in the afternoon at 50 yds, never saw me. Then archery opened and I saw 4 more bears, had a good sized one feeding in a white oak and snuck up to 15 yds of the tree as it was coming down, then is spotted me. It came down but went around the back of the tree snapping it's jaw. I then spotted her two cubs about 50 yds away and knew why; glad I didn't get a shot before I saw them.

Also want to get a deer stillhunting with my bow, so I didn't spend much time in a tree. During muzzleloader week I had a doe at 20yds but passed, then had a decent 6 pointer up feeding on acorns about 50yds away. He was moving away and I tried to get closer but he finally spot me and took off, it was pretty open there from logging.

Good luck everyone.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
I bow hunted this morning. Ended up seeing 3 small bucks and 3 doe. I watched 1 doe for quite while. She eventually got to 20 yards and I shot her. She only went about 40 yards before expiring.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2018, 07:15:53 PM by reeleyz »

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »
Good job!!
It'll chew...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #42 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
Nice shot, looks like a double lung.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
Way to go Bruce!

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
Good eats.  Been unusually slow past two days here.  Hows the shore bite been?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal