Author Topic: does anyone trap?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
does anyone trap?
« on: Jun 12, 2005, 10:30:37 AM »
does anyone here trap, or used to. Its legal here in MA, but you have to get a certain license and other stuff for trapping. Ive been thinking of trying it sometime in my next couple years,Can anyone give me any tips, or hints, or what I need to start trapping. I have read several books on trapping.Im 16 yrs old, and would like any information from those who trap or who have. Thank you- adam
red

Offline buckblood

• Nubbie
  • Let em go so they can grow!
Re: does anyone trap?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2005, 04:46:57 PM »
I used to trap a lot but not much anymore. I am still a member of the NY state trappers asso. I can help you with some basics though. What do you want to trap? If your just starting raccoon are a good place to start. If your a water trapper then you might want to try for muskrats first. Ask me and I'll see if I can help you.

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »
id like to try racoon, and coyote trapping.
red

Offline buckblood

• Nubbie
  • Let em go so they can grow!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2005, 07:19:47 PM »
Raccoon are among the easiest furbearers to catch, coyote are by far the hardest. You'll be a real trapper the day you catch a coyote. For raccoon I like to use 1 1/2 coilspring foot traps. There are a few tools you will need to get. Most trappers have a basket to carry their gear. You will need a small shovel, a dirt sifter, rubber gloves,and  a hatchet. You will have to prepare your traps also. You need to dye them black and wax them and make them absolutely scent free. The scent free part is critical. Raccoons will let you get away with not being scent free but a coyote will not. It is a good idea to get into the habit of being scent free no matter what. You might get a fox in one of your coon sets but only if there are no human smells. The best set of all time is the dirt hole set. What do you know about trapping? I will tell you what you need to know to get started but I don't want to type in things if you already know some stuff. If you are a very beginner let me know. A good source of info is The Trapper and Predator Caller magazine, there web site is; www.trapperpredatorcaller.com .

lord-dna

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2005, 07:20:29 AM »
I rented a video here from my local video store in central ny about trapping that really taught me alot.  I tried to do some on my parents farm and I caught 5 opposum, 1 coon and 3 squirrels.  Man those posum are nasty little things.  Try your local video store or library to see if they have any tapes.

Offline trapperdirk

• Forked
  • The bush is not just a passion , it is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2005, 02:40:01 PM »
Well I've trapped for over 30 years and will continue to . For coons I use conibear 220's in a box set .

TD

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2005, 11:07:01 PM »
I trapped a few years when I got out of high school. Lots of marten and beavers where I was trapping. That was quite awhile ago now.

Offline barleydog

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2005, 01:12:30 PM »
I trap when time allows.  Wish there was more time in the year for trapping.  Starting my boys up this year on muskrats and 110 conibears.  Should be a great time!

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2005, 01:50:12 AM »
I trap everything, to the best of my ablilites, trapper and predator caller is a great magazine, and Fur Fish & Game, Thats what my buddies and I have read since we were young.  It is tough to trap everything, I tried to do that my first year of trapping ever, but learned real quick with school, and that stuff that it was hard to do.  Concentrate on several animals, and experiment with other animals, but hey, trap em all if you want, this is only what I did.  coon are fun, and they are most everywhere.  fox, really aren't as hard as everyone thinks, I have peed on sets and still caught them, no lie either.  Just make sure that your trap is concealed good, but can still go off very easily, and catch them.  If its an average hole set, with a log backing, off set the trap just a little and put it a little ways back, 2-3 inches? I just go by sight, you will learn instinctively where to set it.  Most people stake them, I tripple strand some 16 ga. wire (I think 16 the stuff as round as an inside of a pen could be 14 ga. you can pick it up in the building section at menards)  make trap pan covers I think reading about that stuff is the best thing to do, trapping has so much info I could not possibly post it all.  just don't let the pan get clogged in the springing process.  Just find some good fox lure, trapper art has good stuff, leo hoeft has good stuff, and I forgot the other one, but go with a more trapping catalog to order it, rather than a animal control one, although they can work too. but just to be safe.  Use a #2 trap for fox and coon, I can also catch coon in a #1 I just like to make sure he's caught real good.  #3 for coyote and bobcat, Coyote are trapped the same as fox, just a little bigger, more space etc.  they are a little more tricky, and bobcat are even harder, especially when there aren't many of them.  Otter are fun, runs and stuff for them and beaver are good to set with 280's and 330's for beaver, and fish is good bait, like chubs for otter, make your own fish oil for use on almost any animal, just catch fish throw them in a jar and let them be for a few months, Ok I am going to write a book if I continue, if you have any more specific questions I can answer them. but to sum it up, once you start you can't stop, Trapping is a lifestyle, not a sport, and it becomes part of your soul, I think it is something that is becoming a lost skill that takes a real outdoorsmen to accomplish.  Most who try it will love it.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »
 I also trap. Its a great way to in joy the fall weather and make some money.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal