Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day Buck  (Read 4173 times)

Offline benny8

• Forked
Thanksgiving Day Buck
« on: Nov 28, 2022, 03:51:49 AM »
Sarah and I have had a pretty blessed season leading up to the week of Thanksgiving. We both had the week off to try and get her a Buck with the rifle. We got out of work early the Friday before Thanksgiving to get our stuff and the dog and get up to the Shamp for an evening hunt. No dice that evening. Saturday morning it was 8 degrees and we sat for 3 hours with no sightings. We had to get back home to get ready for the Bruins game that evening. We didn't hunt Sunday as we didnt get home until early Sunday morning. We then proceeded to put a lot of time in. No luck on Monday or Tuesday, so Wednesday morning we decided to hit a pc of Big Woods. This would be Sarahs first time still hunting. We poked along and were on some old tracks in the almost gone snow. We found some fresh scrapings and rubs and decided to sit for a spell and try some calling. We did have a deer blow once at us, which was weird as we had the wind in our favor, but we heard it slowly walk off. We put in a few miles there until my foot and hips started giving me fits. Last year on this day, she had an encounter with a big eight point that she couldn't seal the deal on. Unfortunately, we hadn't had much activity at Shamp, so after the still hunt, we decided to close the Shamp up for the winter. We set out Wednesday evening and saw more of what we had been seeing that week...nuthin. Thanksgiving was a day that she had never hunted and this year was going to be her first. She wanted to sleep in, in the morning and do a late morning sit. Thats what we did. We then came home for lunch and we made a plan for the afternoon. She had been pretty adamant about hunting this one green field. Our buddy had suggested it, but we has yet to hunt it. We pulled into a parking area about 3pm. I got our chairs strapped to my backpack, as I am the pack mule. We walked to a spot that I figured would work out with the way the wind was blowing. We were set on the edge of the field with some bruch for a backdrop. To my left about 20 yards was a well worn trail from the woods. I had my crossbow in case a doe came out. We had just got out seats set and the leaves cleared out from under foot and I tipped the can a couple times. Once set down the field had a small rise in front of us, but we could see about 200 yards down across to the other wood line. I was bitchin that the chairs were to low and we would have a hard time shooting anything from this position, yada yada yada.....Then I looked down across the field and swore I saw I deer. I confirmed and told Sarah there is a deer about 200 yards away. She was like, yeah ok. I got out my bino's and sure enough, it had antlers. I quickly whispered Its a Buck! I told her she was going to have to stand up to shoot. She quickly handed me the shooting stick to open up for a standing shot. She got into position and got the scope on the deer. The deer was walking straight towards us. I told her that he has no idea we are here. Let him keep coming. Besides all she has is a head on shot. I'm watching thru the binos as he crosses the farm road from the lower field into the field, we are setting in. I keep telling her to be patient. Finally, at about 100 yards, her patience pays off and he turns quartering to us. She's on him and her Ruger American .243 barks! He rears back and starts running towards us. I tell her to rack another round. She cycles another cartridge in, but it is not needed. 25 yards from the initial impact, he rolls over and expires. We celebrate and she starts walking down to her trophy as I gather our stuff. I look at my watch and its 325pm. She made a perfect shot for the angle the deer was at. We take some pics. She calls my folks and then she starts the gutting process. A truly blessed Thanksgiving and year for us. We joked before the season that she had shot button bucks and a spike so she now needed a 3 or 4 point to level up. When she got to her deer she proudly exclaimed, "It's a 4 pointer!"

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Thanksgiving Day Buck
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2022, 04:44:27 AM »
Nice job. Congratulations 👍👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:03:08 AM »
That’s great! Always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing and congrats
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:16:53 AM »
Nice job. Congratulations 👍👍
Thank you
That’s great! Always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing and congrats
Thanks Frank! Another chapter for the book!

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:19:35 AM »
Congrats to her!!!

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2022, 06:15:25 AM »
Congrats to the wife. Nice buck and a great story. Thanks for sharing....h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2022, 08:08:13 AM »
congrats great story and a job well done!!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2022, 10:13:39 AM »
Thank youThanks Frank! Another chapter for the book!

Love it
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »
That was a nice hunting story. Congratz on a nice Buck ! 🦌

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:15:52 PM »
Congrats to you guys. Nice write up

Offline benny8

• Forked