Author Topic: Chicken of the Woods  (Read 11989 times)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
Re: Chicken of the Woods
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
I was told I should have eaten them fresh and not let them sit in the fridge for 4 days,,they dried out to much.

Offline ozzy

• Nubbie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 04, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Think I found some of these on a hike today. Can anybody confirm that these are chicken of the woods? I want to cook some up, but want to be sure.

Online Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
Im not sure but welcome to the site...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline ozzy

• Nubbie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
Im not sure but welcome to the site...

hey thanks, been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to register.

Online Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
They look like them to me----they don't have gills,,and eat the fresh..

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
Unfortunately, I just joined the site, but YES this is a chicken of the woods. There are actually a few types but most common are the following. Laetiporus Cincinnatus and Laetiporus sulphureus. Cincinnatus is definitely the better tasting of the two and it normally grows in spring all the way into the fall. It also grows around a tree out of its roots instead of on it. It grows in a rosette and is pinkish and white on top with white underneath. Sulphureus is what you have in the picture. This one grows on dying or dead trees and stumps and never on the ground. its also more orange on top and the give away is the underside is yellow, not white. It also grows in a shelf style. Both are edible but you should NOT eat them if they are growing on a conifer. There have been reports of people getting sick from conifer chickens. Any hardwood is fine and that's what I stick to. These are both best when young and soft and you want to eat the outer edges as this is the most tender (unless VERY young). Simple recipe - sauté these in light butter with some garlic and shallots and peeled shrimp. These go great with shrimp. Then you can toss that mix right into some pasta.

Here is a picture of a Laetiporus Cincinnatus I found so you can see the difference.

Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal