Author Topic: fall meal  (Read 3424 times)

Offline carphunter

• Forked
fall meal
« on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:57:21 AM »
I've been starting to collect more than just Morels and man are some of these good.

Those first three pic's are hen of the woods. These next couple are what I think are chicken mushrooms I think. I'm new to some of these other kinds so I will not chance eating anything thats not positivly identified.

Top view of the Chicken.

Side view.

AKA carpcatcher

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: fall meal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
Great pictures CH...     Dont eat them unless you have a positive ID....    I wish I knew more..  Thats why I stick to Morels and Giant Puff Balls...   Sometimes there hard to identify  from books...  Maybe JoeSnagg can tell you waht that 2nd one is.....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »
I just love morels in the spring but have yet to find a way to preserve them to my likeing so it's a small window for enjoyment. Several weeks ago I got into finding those hens and they are just as good as the morels and have a much longer season.
AKA carpcatcher

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »
How do you clean and cook them??
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:48:25 AM »
Just like a morel, wash them off with a little water. I sauteed them with butter and also dredged them in flour and deep fried. My favorite way is the deep fried and the wife and kids like the sauteed method better. They also keep if the frig. way longer than morels.
AKA carpcatcher

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »

Those first three pic's are hen of the woods. These next couple are what I think are chicken mushrooms I think. I'm new to some of these other kinds so I will not chance eating anything thats not positivly identified.

Top view of the Chicken.

Side view.

that looks to scary to eat.......see them in our woods all over and they are bright bright scary orange....wonder what they are....we have huge ones

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »
just dehydrated a pretty good sized hen last night cant wait to have em with a  nice hunk of scrub oak beef !
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline Somers

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
You IDed fine.  Right on with both.  Hens are better in my opinion.  Chickens are good, but the one you got in the first pic, you should have gotten a few days earlier.

You can eat any part of the hens, but the chickens, the most palatable part is the edge on the "fan".  I usually just cut the last inch off any more.  Way too tough and chewy if you try to take more, especially on the older ones.

Neither of what you have have any poisinous look alikes.  Make sure the orange are growing out of wood and have no gills.  There are other mushrooms this time of year called Jack O' Lanterns that glow in the dark and are poisinous. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal