Author Topic: My Well Lit Pop-up Blind  (Read 3259 times)

Offline heymax

• Forked
My Well Lit Pop-up Blind
« on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »
Hey Folks
               I'm from Maine but I go to West Virginia every year to visit my brother and hunt. Last year I was using a Pop-up Blind in the field overlooking a ravine we call the Low-gap. I saw a deer making her way down the hill and I checked my watch and i had about 5 minutes of legal light left. I was sitting toward the back of the blind and when I raised my gun, the end of the barrel was right at the edge of the blind where the zippered down window rolls up. I squeezed the trigger and this ball of flame illuminated that blind like sunshine and scared the poop out of me. What I didn't know was that I burnt a hole in the blind fabric with the blast and that night it was windy and the hole opened up like a zipper. I did get the deer but the next morning I went back to the blind and noticed this big hole in the side and thats when I put two and two together. I patched it up with camo duct tape and it is as good as new. I wish I could have seen what it looked like from the outside. Like a big flash bulb going off. Moral......stick your gun barrel out of the window a least 5 inches or you are in for a suprise. Take Care. Good Luck Hunting. Max

Offline MnSportsman

• Spiked
  • Called uphill with hens...It can be done
Re: My Well Lit Pop-up Blind
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »
Thanks for that heads-up.
I'm sure this has happened to a few folks, but I'm glad ya posted it. I just picked up a couple of pop-ups for Bow hunting & firearms hunting. I wouldn't like to find out the hard way, like you did.
BTW, Glad you got the deer.

Another Spring Tom  <>   Me & some of the Good Ol' Boys  <>  Belle with her first birds @ 9 months{R.I.P.}

Offline Parker84

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
Thank God for camo duck tape

upstatehunter

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »
Duct tape and bailin wire. Fixes anything.....Hmmm wonder if Obama knows how to use it.
Good story, good thing you weren't wearing night goggles you would be blind...LOL

Offline travo

• Nubbie
  • the south dakota duck doctor
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
When i first got my blind, i was using it for bowhunting turkey. I had never hunted out of it before, and was too close to the front window. well, the window has a shootthrough fabric over it, and as i went to draw the bow on a big tom, i realized that i was too close to draw, so i leaned back........and back.........and back. Well, I did get the bow drawn, just as i fell over backwards. I shot a hole right through the roof of my new blind, almost directly above where i now sit. It lets in just enough of a drip in the rain to tick me off. At least i learned something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal