Author Topic: Sony S40 rebuild of a rebuild  (Read 16096 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Sony S40 homebrew trail cam is up and running(with test pics)
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:20:23 AM »
lol It was a terrible game Bog. Well as usual the Skins are back to their old ways.

looks good dave im interested to see how it works for you. how much did it cost to build?

Thanks eyehi, I am elated to have it working now. I paid $35 for the digital camera on ebay and $135 on a kit from yeti cam. If your patient you can pick up camera for cheaper. There are quite a few different digital cameras out there you can hack. If you build the case from scratch you can save yourself about $35 depending on what board you go with. I will be honest I had to get someone to solder some of the wires for me on the camera hack. Although I did successfully do the external hack. I had an accident with the ground wire when shrink wrapping the wires. I had to open it up myself and solder it back on. Low and behold it worked,talk about a confidence booster. I told stka I wouldnt build another but I lied. ;D I can see this being a very addicting hobby Here is the link to the kit I bought.

http://yeticam.com/Kits.htm

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:46:56 AM »
That does take great pics. Now get it outside, lets see some deers.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »
That does take great pics. Now get it outside, lets see some deers.
Thanks. Going to put it in my backyard tonight. Going to go get some corn and the python cable come in today at the hardware store. With any luck I will have deer pics by tomorrow.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »
good luck with your camera operations...hope to see some soon from your new one...

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Sony S40 build being redone
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
Well after getting fed up with the L18 build trying to make a snorkel. An idea hit me about the S40 build that I had running a yeti board. Well as some remeber the camera would take 15 sec. to take a pic once motion was sensed. Which is okay when set over a feeder but not a trail. So I decided since the board for the L18 will work the S40 to put that one in the build. I'll take some pics when finished. Looks like the L18 build got put on hold for a bit.

Online Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
           does take nice pics ;   nice you got patience to build your own camera

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks GMH. Well got the case back together what a pain. Turns out the case had a leak and I spent 2 hours trying to figure out where it was coming from. Finally decided to take the gasket out and put goop behind it. This helped bring the seal out further and allowed the lid to seat better on it. I think that took care of it. Got the SS board in and it works like a champ. Fires a pic in 2 sec not 15 sec. ;D Guess the board yeticam sold me was in fact faulty. >:( Kept trying to tell them that. Now I have room to add an external battery source since the board is so small.

Before

After

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Sony S40 build being redone (Pics Added)
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »
    very - very nice looks small and compact  going to work awesome   ;) ;)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »
Looks good Drob.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
Thanks fellas. I put it out in the backyard over some corn. Hopefully I will have some visitors tonight. If the test goes okay it will hit the woods at my hunting spot next card pull.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
Nice set up Drobs...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Nice set up Drobs...
     hay were my shooter guy go   you guys are something else  when i post avatar i ask for help  ;)

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
So after the rebuild I was still left with a Yeti board that didnt work right. ::) I asked a member on another site to take a look at it for me and test it in one of his builds. He agreed and as luck would have it he figured out it had a bad chip in it within an hour after getting it in the mail(Either faulty or the wrong one). He had a spare off an old board and he put it on mine. Sure enough that fixed it and he didnt charge me a thing. I was very grateful he saved me 50 bucks. Now I need another Sony S40.

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »
that is truly great i bet this new adventure is going to be some thing  ;  awesome he found the problem for yeah
and factory wouldn't listen to you

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
Sounds like a good guy. Did he save you 40 or cost you 100 now that you have to build another one  ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal