Author Topic: Sony S40 rebuild of a rebuild  (Read 16095 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Building a homebrew trail camera(Got the S40 today)
« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
Not sure but I think broke this one. ::) Did the external hack with no problem. Started the 4 wire hack and and scraped the block(after I got a magnifier). Went to solder the shutter and power wire to the block and couldnt get the wire to stick. >:( While I was holding the solder iron there I may have damaged a ribbon not sure though. This was the home stretch to the other two wires would have been a piece of cake. Going to take a break and regroup.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Building an S40 homebrew trail camera
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
Throwing in the towel on the camera hack on this build. The soldering deal pretty much did me in. Talked with stka on the phone yesterday and through Pm's. He had an accent and he prolly thought the same about me. ;) ;D ;D I cant thank you enough stka for all your help and advice. He offered to have me send the cam to him to have a looksee. I also got a couple offers from Hag's House. One fella said even if I damaged the camera he had the parts to fix it. While I would feel a lot better sending it to stka it would stink to send it to him if I damaged the board. If there is one thing I will take away from this all is its not as easy as it looks on the video. I also give a ton of credit to the people who know how to solder small components. Sending the cam out tomorrow and should have it back by the beginning of next week at the latest to finish this build. Still need to order the yeti board, pelican box and some other supplies.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »
What do you mean, I don't have an accent  ;). But I told Heather it sounded like you were a bit farther south than MD  ;D. Any time you need a hand don't hesitate to call.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
But I told Heather it sounded like you were a bit farther south than MD  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cant wait to get him and Bog together....      ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Building a homebrew trail camera(Got the S40 today)
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
Not sure but I think broke this one. ::) Did the external hack with no problem. Started the 4 wire hack and and scraped the block(after I got a magnifier). Went to solder the shutter and power wire to the block and couldnt get the wire to stick. >:( While I was holding the solder iron there I may have damaged a ribbon not sure though. This was the home stretch to the other two wires would have been a piece of cake. Going to take a break and regroup.

You never thought to ask your good Bud HuntNY to help you out...I have been an Electronics Technician for the Navy 19 years...if I can fix million dollar Radar and Communication Systems I could prob fix a camera... ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2011, 09:38:52 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
But I told Heather it sounded like you were a bit farther south than MD  ;D. Any time you need a hand don't hesitate to call.
LOL I call it Fredneck. Thanks stka.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cant wait to get him and Bog together....      ;D ;D
We may need a translator. ;D ;D You guys prolly would have laughed if you heard me and Liberal Hater chatting when he was down here. I have heard Raquette speak before but it wasn't very much. Hard to tell if he has the NY accent. ;D ;D

You never thought to ask your good Bud HuntNY to help you out...I have been an Electronics Technician for the Navy 19 years...if I can fix million dollar Radar and Communication Systems I could prob fix a camera... ;D ;D ;D

Your right I didn't, had no idea that's what you did. Looks like you were good at it since you could fix it while drinking coffee.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
We ain't got no accent flatlander............It's a southern thing. ;D ;D ;D

Now if you notice the guy with the meter in his hand has a coffee cup in the other- This is because of the stripe's on the uniform.  " here's the problem" "now I'm going to finish my coffee when you get this fixed come get me" ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
Now if you notice the guy with the meter in his hand has a coffee cup in the other- This is because of the stripe's on the uniform.  " here's the problem" "now I'm going to finish my coffee when you get this fixed come get me" ;D ;D

I thunk it, just didn't type it   ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
Flatlander? :o :o ;D ;D

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Ha Ha..that picture was taken backin the 90's...I didn't have much pull...I was a worker bee!  It was staged though...we never do dirty work in our dress uniforms like that... 8)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »
Alright finally got the camera back from the nice fella in IL. Lucky I didn't screw it up and he was able to salvage the hack. Now I still need to order the kit to finish the build since I didn't do it today. Hope to have it finished and taking pics behind my house within the next two weeks. I cant wait to see the awesome pics it takes. ;D

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
This has been a marathon build for me. I am finally down to just wiring everthing up(easier said than done lol). Here are a few pics of it. Poor stka I have been bugging him through out this whole build. I bet he wishes he never told me he does similar stuff like this at his work. ;D Thanks again for your help.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Sony S40 homebrew trail cam is up and running(with test pics)
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
I cant wait to get this beast outside, it only took me two months to get it up and running. Have to wait till the masterlock python cable comes in though. Here are the first two pics from the build. Thanks for all your help stka.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
looks good dave im interested to see how it works for you. how much did it cost to build?

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »
OH...............................Pictures came out much better than the score on TV................. ::) ::) ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal