Author Topic: Sony S40 rebuild of a rebuild  (Read 16094 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Sony S40 rebuild of a rebuild
« on: Aug 16, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried it or had any hands on experience building one? I am thinking about building one out of a Fuji J10 camera. Depending on what board I go with and how I go about getting the camera I think I can build one for around 100 bucks. Not to bad for an 8 megapixel camera. Looking in on the possibilities of added an IR lens too.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2012, 08:21:08 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Building a homebrew trail camera
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Well I have been researching this for weeks now. I have decided I want to build either a Sony DSC W35 or a Sony S40. The cameras can be picked up on Ebay for 20-40 bucks. The Fuji J10 runs a little more money so I figured I would give the Sony a shot first. Just in case I ruin the camera on the hack. ::) Found out IR cameras aren't that easy to build but I bet I can do it once I get a little experience.Something for me to try on down the road. I figure I can build the cam for less than a 125 buck total. One cool thing about these Homebrews is the trigger range on them. They will detect movement up to 100 ft away and take a pic. I will keep you guys posted on the build as I go. Not rushing anything and could be a couple month process. Just out of curiosity does anyone has either of these models laying around your house? If not what model Sony's do you own?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
Thanks stka I have seen the link on other websites but haven't checked it out yet. Lots of info to sort through on these builds. Now I any leaning toward a P32 since they make a harness that controls the camera without having to solder anything. Found a Pelican case on Ebay I am going to try and pick up tonight.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Talked myself out of the P32 now and back into the S40 camera. ;D ;D I was worried about the S40 fast hack to speed up the shutter speed. Found a video on the S40 hack and watched it now I'm not scared. ;D If anyone is interested on seeing what I'm getting myself into here is the link to the video. Going to bid on an S40 tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yulru6NIcz0

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Building a homebrew trail camera(Just bought a Sony S40)
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »
So far I have $35.20 into the build with the Sony S40. The camera and the board are the most expensive pieces of the build and I will have them both for less than $80. :) Next thing to pick up is a Pelican case.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »
If we could still feed deer in the winter I would have a live cam set up...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
Small steps first but I can see it now MarylandWildlifeCam.com. ;) ;D

I am ready to just order everything I need and jump right into this. Going to make sure the camera hack goes as planned before I drop the duckets on the rest.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Building a homebrew trail camera(Got the S40 today)
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Camera came in the mail today and I cant wait to get started. I was a little worried about buying something on Ebay but the camera was just as described. Has a few scratches on the front of the cam but otherwise evertying is in good working order. I was having trouble finding wire for the hack and stka came thru with some(Thank you buddy). I am a little nervous about this the camera is much small that I thought. Guess we will find out if I have what it takes to build a trail camera.

Offline THEOZON

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
You can do it ! Watched the video . Just get a nice magnetic phillips screwdriver.

USE WHAT YA GOT TO GET WHAT YA NEED !

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks Ozon i hope so.

Here is the video on the external hack for those who are interested. Doing this so I can add an extra battery supply for the camera(longer battery life)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XACXj1UbMWM

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
Going to tare this camera apart today. Wish me luck.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »
Good luck. If you get it messed up or broken you can always ship it to me and I should be able to get it back together for you. Good luck.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
Good luck. If you get it messed up or broken you can always ship it to me and I should be able to get it back together for you. Good luck.
LOL Thats true or it could be a parts camera. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal