The Camp Fire > Hunting Stories
Funny Hunting Story.
(1/11) > >>
brett:
I really don't feel like posting this, but when I look at it from a point of view other than mine, it is kind of funny.

This past hunting season I was able to have the privilege of hunting with several of my family members.  While out hunting one morning, I just could not keep my eyes open I was so tired.  I found myself dozing off several times and I tried my best to stay awake, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not.  Next thing you know I find myself waking up to a loud sound below me.  I looked carefully over the side and I found my dad at the bottom of the tree laughing uncontrollably.  It turned out that my dad had tried for an excess of five minutes trying to wake me up.  First, he tried by just saying my name and saying it louder and louder until he was practically yelling at me.  Then, the loud sound was him throwing a stick at me and it hitting the ground.  I really don't know why I was so tired, but I think I could have slept through a thunderstorm.

It is things like this that make hunting so enjoyable even when you don't see anything all day.

One thing I will say is to give your self plenty of time in the mornings to get ready and to wake up completely, and always get plenty of sleep the night before a hunt.
fly-in:
Many years ago my father inlaw was hunting with his cousin for geese on a field of peat moss, they just kicked a trench and laid down and waited. I don't remember if any geese were shot but when it got dark my father inlaw walked out and meet thier ride at the road where they just waited, and waited, eventually they started to serch, it took a bit to find him, and it is still a funny story.
brett:
If anyone else has a funny hunting story that you would like to share, please post it here. :)
walleyesteve:

--- Quote from: brett on Feb 21, 2007, 11:21:34 AM ---I really don't feel like posting this, but when I look at it from a point of view other than mine, it is kind of funny.

This past hunting season I was able to have the privilege of hunting with several of my family members.  While out hunting one morning, I just could not keep my eyes open I was so tired.  I found myself dozing off several times and I tried my best to stay awake, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not.  Next thing you know I find myself waking up to a loud sound below me.  I looked carefully over the side and I found my dad at the bottom of the tree laughing uncontrollably.  It turned out that my dad had tried for an excess of five minutes trying to wake me up.  First, he tried by just saying my name and saying it louder and louder until he was practically yelling at me.  Then, the loud sound was him throwing a stick at me and it hitting the ground.  I really don't know why I was so tired, but I think I could have slept through a thunderstorm.

It is things like this that make hunting so enjoyable even when you don't see anything all day.

One thing I will say is to give your self plenty of time in the mornings to get ready and to wake up completely, and always get plenty of sleep the night before a hunt.

--- End quote ---
We were hunting a clearcut and I had positioned myself in my tree stand.  With the warm afternoon sun I was falling asleep, so I climbed down and proceeded to nap on the ground. That evening at camp my buddy says, "Why didn't you shoot that monster buck?". Apparently a herd of does and a huge buck had walked right past me! My buddy said soon after the deer a couple of hunters had stopped buy on the trail too. That must have been funny to see me snooz'n away!
Later, Walleye Steve
marcus:
this year opening day I  was in a raised shooting hut 10 feet off the ground pouring rain   real nice to have a roof over my head..anyways I nodded off a bit and was awaken to my friends dad less than 200 yards away unloading reloading and unloading his 12 ga again . When I awoke there he stood 50-60 yards away 6-pointer big bodied buck . This being my second year hunting have never gotten a buck I was pumped. I got a nice rest on the edge of my shooting window clicked off the safety and lined him up for the shot. He had his head down feeding at this point I asked myself is this the one I want my answer to myself was YES of course. Minutes passed I didnt shoot ??? I froze up solid :-[      I wanted him to raise his head up once more. When he did he also trotted off into the thick stuff. I did not even shoot :o  I assume this is what is called buck fever. I just froze up    I am still kicking myself over this .    I have only been hunting,like I said, for 2 years now so I dont have the funniest story but I thought it was a story worth sharing nonetheless . I now have 5 days left and all my tags still .  :'(
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version