Author Topic: whos ready for bow season?!  (Read 4595 times)

Offline longbeardpredator

• Spiked
whos ready for bow season?!
« on: Sep 01, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
been a while since ive been on here, how is everyone? everybody ready for bow season? been seein any bucks? or do you not care if it has horns? ;D ;) and don't forget to like us on facebook at facebook.com/bro.outdoors

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: whos ready for bow season?!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
i cant wait..i mowed and added more seed to my clover plot yesturday...seeing a ton of does and fawns in it every day...not many bucks yet with the farm down the road still having 200 acres of standing corn

Offline ms.hick

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
I can't wait! I'm already drawing the bow back and target practicing, I want to be ready.  All I've got left is to place my one stand in a new spot, where I've had a lot of activity. Good luck to all!

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
i go to florida 9/30 or 10/1 ...... talk about timing

but .... i'll be fishing so it's all good ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2013, 10:34:22 AM by ship of fools »

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »

bring the bow and stick some pork ;)
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »

I'll agree with John ; Way to much pork on the lose down that way  ;D ;D

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
no hunting on this trip

i am driving my inlaws friends car down for them .....  stopping in Orlando for a day to see my daughter in college then to the everglades and keys for four days of intense fishing for tarpon, snook and hopefully out offshore a bit for some yellowtail snapper

i'll have plenty of time to hunt when i get back on 10/8  8)  ...  and hopefully the leaves will be off the trees shortly after so we can see in the woods  ::)

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
Been shooting everyday,,,SOF your missing the start,,but have a good safe trip..

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
I'm getting there, have my 45# recurve all tuned and practice every day. Now I can start shooting at longer distances which really helps with the close shots, with tourist season winding down I get my long range practice spot back. ;) Plan on limiting myself to 15 yds and in this year, haven't shot many animals with the compound farther than that anyway. Still need to get some more arrows fletched up, and should probably break in another finger tab just in case.

First deer other than a fawn that gets in range will have an arrow headed it's way. ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline o2rmk800

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
im getting there. cams are out. still have to set the stands though. this weekend looks good ;)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Just added 50gr brass inserts to a few arrows as a test today. They made for a much more impressive thwack hitting the bag target. Shaft selector says I can go up to the 100gr inserts and be a little weak, I wanted to try the 50's first. With them I should be at a spine of 0.334 (calculated) with an optimal of 0.342 according to the shaft selector software. That will put my arrow weight up to ~457gr and 13%foc.

I still have a little idler lean, I don't know why I can't get it to stay straight but it's getting quite frustrating. One of the contributing factors is that the bow press I have just doesn't fit the bow right and I don't feel comfortable using it how it is. The one time I pressed it it shifted a little in the press. The only thing I can think to do is to make new "forks" for the end of the press to hold the limbs more securely. Wondering if I should sell it and make one better suited for the bow, it would be a good excuse to use the welder  ;).
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2013, 08:40:58 PM by stka »

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
I added a 50 grain insert ( well its called an inseart but its a insert outsert combined as i shoot micro diameter arrows) . to my arrows this year as well and like it a lot my are 410 grains.   Just running it through the Online calc  my bow is shooting 281 fps with a KE of 72.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »
Mine is calculated at 258fps and a KE of 67.64 (J/kg?), at 65lb draw. There's no doubt it has some power, I shot a few muzzys and they went through two used foam blocks and touched the back stop.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
You have  good KE which IMO is more important then speed.  No doubt you will get easy pass through on a deer with your set up  I feel like a lot of people are on a speed craze last few years.   I shoot a 70 lb an 29.5" draw.  I'm thinking about dropping my draw down to 65 after the season as I'm considering joining an indoor league.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
I have some 50 and 100 grain brass inserts for the CX arrows I shoot, bought them for use with recurves but they sit in the packages still. The shafts I'm using will be too weak with them at the length I have them now and they are tuned with only 100 grain points; arrows with the feathers weigh around 420 grains and they are going pretty deep into my foam broadhead target. Decided I'd rather have the speed for flatter trajectory. Do plan on setting up the 50 lb recurve with heavier arrows and the brass inserts in case I ever get a chance to hunt something bigger like moose or elk. I've used arrows from 320-380 grains with my compounds(none are speed bows) set a 63 lbs and never had a problem with penetration, even through bone on a few occasions; also like using smaller diameter broadheads(except turkeys) with steel ferrules which also helps with penetration.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal