Author Topic: Youth season  (Read 11883 times)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Youth season
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Here is what I find interesting. The overwhelming majority of hunters that I talk to are against the youth season. So who actually wanted it soooo bad that it became law?

Mookie- don't forget about the northern zone where bow season is MUCH shorter than gun season.

Just imagine sitting on a field in early October with a 30-06 just before dark. Like fish in a barrel!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
Your not one of my buddies but if thats what you want.......

Sounds good we'll work it out...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
LMAO

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
How is that handing them something on a silver platter? Shoulnt kids have it easier seeing as they are kids? If a grown man is worried that a few kids are gonna ruin their hunting maybe they should take up something else. Possibly golf? Maybe knitting?

Again you are way off...I'm not worried about some kid ruining my hunting...matter a fact I have been part of many many people, kids, adults, women shooting their first deer, I have helped and taught people how to hunt and be more successful as I have learned from many...I'm not sure how the deer in NH respond once the gun fire starts but this changes every aspect of their routine...also the leaves aren't even off the trees yet...I think there should be special stipulation for the youth, I think they should have a little different opportunity, even their own days....like I said I have kids, they go with me, I let them shoot and fish and teach them everyday...to open a gun season a couple days after bow season starts...it jacks up the deer, I spend all year scouting, preparing you name it for the bow season...you can pattern deer early, once they start getting shot at it is a whole different ballgame...gun season is an entirely different stategy...so say what you want jackazz...you have contributed nothing here...and by the way I can already golf good...knitting, I'll leave that to the sensitive guys like you!
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 08:36:46 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »
Here is what I find interesting. The overwhelming majority of hunters that I talk to are against the youth season. So who actually wanted it soooo bad that it became law?

Mookie- don't forget about the northern zone where bow season is MUCH shorter than gun season.

Just imagine sitting on a field in early October with a 30-06 just before dark. Like fish in a barrel!
You have a point about NZ ..... Still dosen't sway me .... but good point .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
You have a point about NZ ..... Still dosen't sway me .... but good point .

EDDIE we will argue about this all day tomorrow in the boat!!!! >:( >:( >:( ;D  Why aren't you sleeping you better not be late! 
John Wayne

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
First, let keep it civil guys...no need to call each other names or threaten violence.  Second, let's acknowledge a certain level of selfishness by archery hunters who enjoy the peace, quiet, and natural atmosphere of the early season.  With that being said...the State approached this very bass ackwards!!

Swampdonkey...I suggest you do some history on NY's hunting seasons.  At first, you had to 14/16 in order to bow/shotgun hunt in the State.  Heck, 14 was the age you had to be to hunt small game with an adult present!!  The State started to change the laws [slowly], with 12 being the age to small game hunt.  Next, 15 to shotgun hunt deer...and finally 12/14 to bow/shotgun hunt.  The changes were always for the same reason, to get younger people interested in the sport.

The real problem that is still not being addressed by this early hunt...that a child in middle school in definitely NOT going to choose hunting over sports.  No one is arguing against the youth per se, just the timing of the hunt.  Most guys here probably recall when shotgun started on a Monday...I think most of us would be open to that again in order to make room for an early youth hunt. 

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »

Most guys here probably recall when shotgun started on a Monday...I think most of us would be open to that again in order to make room for an early youth hunt.

I was thinking the same thing while driving home from the VFW earlier... :)  No I wasn't drunk I had 1 beer...
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 08:57:44 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
I agree with Hunt on this one. Way to many parents spoil their kids to much on their own these days, does the state have to do it too? Why does it have to be easy? If you really want to get a kid into hunting deer is the worst place to start and making it easy for two years and then taking it away will help how? They will go for a year or two until it gets hard and quit because it isn't fun any more? Kids that want to hunt are going to hunt regardless, but nothing about this youth hunt makes sense. If you take a kid out and they have a great time and want to go again, they have to wait a month? I don't really care if they have a youth hunt, but it only makes sense to do it at the end of archery, even make it a week long. I had to learn to shoot a bow to be able to hunt at 14 and I still see no problem with have a younger age for archery tags.

I should probably add that I will be taking a youth next year. She's only 13 now and has been mature enough mentally for a couple years. I feel bad she can't go this year, but may get out turkey hunting if I get a decent pattern on them. She passed her hunter safety course and got her license last weekend. My friend (her dad) doesn't deer hunt but hunts coyotes. I told him he can take deer hunting and call me if she shoots something and I'll be there within an hour to help teach her to do everything post shot, and she can be as involved (or not) as she wants. He watched me dress one last year and won't be doing it any time soon  ;D. He's bringing her out for my recovery this year to get a little exposure and see if she's as interested as she thinks she is  ;). But again, she's a kid that wants to hunt and next year she can hunt three days and then has to wait four weeks while I'm hunting before she can go out again? Make no sense what so ever. Fortunately for her she'll likely be bow hunting by next year, she's shooting the bow well enough now.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 09:06:09 PM by stka »

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
huntny30...isn't common sense an amazing attribute!?!?  Too bad our elected officials lost it along with their morals and integrity!!

ssminnow...I'm sorry to tell you this, but your brother represents the 'instant gratification' generation that will never be successful hunters until they mature.  I hunted for two straight years and only saw deer in the far off distance.  I kept at it though and when I turned 16 I was rewarded with a basket buck.  One of the BEST moments of my life because I shared the moment with my Dad...he actually put me in the spot to succeed and then pushed the deer to me.  In all of our differences at that time (teenager vs adult) that one moment we were equals...and I'll never forget it!!
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 09:09:40 PM by DeerReaver »

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
Nobody threatened any violence so relax. As far as history on N.Y. Seasons I don't know what that would matter. The bottom line is selfishness. Period. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I can already see what kind of person you are...and you cannot see the common sense to any of this...you are just trying to stir the pot...most of us on here grew up hunting and like to hunt...hence the fact that we are on a hunting forum...where they put the season makes no sense for several reasons...if it is selfish to like and enjoy bowhunting I'm guilty...my kids will continue to be raised to earn what they have and not have everything provided for them...giving the youth a couple days or a week or whatever the length at the end of bow season, I'm all for it...not three days after it starts...so you have again proved that you are the other name for the second half of your name...congrats...I'm done with this topic and your comments and opinions...
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012, 02:28:45 AM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
huntny30...isn't common sense an amazing attribute!?!?  Too bad our elected officials lost it along with their morals and integrity!!

ssminnow...I'm sorry to tell you this, but your brother represents the 'instant gratification' generation that will never be successful hunters until they mature.  I hunted for two straight years and only saw deer in the far off distance.  I kept at it though and when I turned 16 I was rewarded with a basket buck.  One of the BEST moments of my life because I shared the moment with my Dad...he actually put me in the spot to succeed and then pushed the deer to me.  In all of our differences at that time (teenager vs adult) that one moment we were equals...and I'll never forget it!!

Well put!  I too had similar experiences and that is what drives me every year...now my wife enjoys it and my kids as well...as well as all my friends that continue to talk and discuss season after season...it is a way of life for many of us...I said I was done...now I am done... ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 09:19:17 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2012, 02:32:28 AM »
EDDIE we will argue about this all day tomorrow in the boat!!!! >:( >:( >:( ;D  Why aren't you sleeping you better not be late!
CHILD PLEASE  ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
CHILD PLEASE  ;D

::) ::) ::) ::)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline THEOZON

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Hunter orange is required in Pa. not in NYS. Wait till someone out bow hunting in camo gets plugged by one of these Youths. LAW SUIT BIG TIME CALL 666-6666 or 444-4444!!!!! It's just an overall bad IDEA.

USE WHAT YA GOT TO GET WHAT YA NEED !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal