Author Topic: Youth season  (Read 11882 times)

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
Re: Youth season
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
LOVE the idea, LOVE the thought process of encouraging young hunters... but HATE the implementation!!  Besides the obvious intrusion on archery season, during leaf cover... the effort is being absolutely wasted.  I asked my cousin if he was planning on bow hunting this year and his response was "no" because of football, practices, and weight training.  ADKroy is absolutely right...start them at a much younger age and then offer a special youth hunt.  Their is no way that high-school aged youth are going to choose hunting over sports.

On a positive note...the season is a month + before the rut, so hopefully everything is back to normal by then!?

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
LOVE the idea, LOVE the thought process of encouraging young hunters... but HATE the implementation!!  Besides the obvious intrusion on archery season, during leaf cover... the effort is being absolutely wasted.  I asked my cousin if he was planning on bow hunting this year and his response was "no" because of football, practices, and weight training.  ADKroy is absolutely right...start them at a much younger age and then offer a special youth hunt.  Their is no way that high-school aged youth are going to choose hunting over sports.

On a positive note...the season is a month + before the rut, so hopefully everything is back to normal by then!?

One of the best and most reasonable comments on MHF in a long time!!  Kudos to you!!
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »
Agreed............
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »
Putting a youth gun season during Bow Season! Inexperience gun hunters with Bow Hunters in camo not good and no common sense! Again what bothers me is when my son was ready for his first deer hunt, my wife and I placed his season, mentoring and his experience as a priority. And for us it wasn't really a sacrifice, we love hunting and dearly love our son. Now we all have to sacrifice because many parents who wouldn't. It also disrupts the natural deer movement, beauty and tranquility of the bow season.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »
yea but you hit like  girl so it wouldnt hurt  :P

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
i dont now any of that hocus pocus MMA that you do! besides, you 100lbs heavier fatazz lol

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
man i hope so! on both accounts

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
what the hell are you talking about?

"you shoot duck while ppl are out fishing"

???

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »

2 threads ...... Got my popcorn ready !!! The way I see it is , who cares ..... Poachers are gonna poach ....... The season usually aint even open yet anyways ..... And bow season is way longer than Gun already , I have only bow hunted for a couple years and while I love it I find MOST bow hunters are spoiled and want it all they're way and to heck with everyone else . I hope some Kid shoots a Booner , I really do and I hope it gets kids out there . It's one weekend people and Rifle opener is just as thick IMO .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

2 threads ...... Got my popcorn ready !!! The way I see it is , who cares ..... Poachers are gonna poach ....... The season usually aint even open yet anyways ..... And bow season is way longer than Gun already , I have only bow hunted for a couple years and while I love it I find MOST bow hunters are spoiled and want it all they're way and to heck with everyone else . I hope some Kid shoots a Booner , I really do and I hope it gets kids out there . It's one weekend people and Rifle opener is just as thick IMO .

+1 on this ^^

Im one of the most die hard bowhunters you'll ever meet, hunt exclusively State land, and this does not concern me at all, however I am completely confident in my hunting abilities and know I can adapt and overcome something as little as a few kids with guns running around in my area for a couple days one FULL MONTH before the rut. I would have liked to see them lower the age to 8 years old but hopefully that will come soon.
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline ssminnow

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
Wear your orange in and out of the stand. Are you guys really that upset about YOUTH hunting. Talk about a bunch of ____________________________________________!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enter a whole lot of words I can't type here. Give me a damn break. Bunch of greedy pukes. They are kids. Whatever gives them a better opportunity to shoot a deer the better. If one of my friends said something as stupid as some of this crap I just read I would punch him square in the mouth.

I have to agree with you.  I love bow hunting  more than gun season because I see WAY more deer.  I would think that most kids would get a greater love for the sport if they had an opportunity to see many deer and especially tag one over the course of the weekend.  99% of the people on here complaining will probably not even be near a youth hunter while in the woods that weekend.  My brother went 3 years before he saw a deer in the woods and now that he is older has no ambition to go sit in the woods.  If his first couple of years were successful or at least exciting I think it would have stuck with him.  I hope they stick with this new youth season until my daughter is old enuf.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
I hope the kids scare the deer over on my property...    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 05:44:04 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »

+1 on this ^^

Im one of the most die hard bowhunters you'll ever meet, hunt exclusively State land, and this does not concern me at all, however I am completely confident in my hunting abilities and know I can adapt and overcome something as little as a few kids with guns running around in my area for a couple days one FULL MONTH before the rut. I would have liked to see them lower the age to 8 years old but hopefully that will come soon.

I have to agree with you.  I love bow hunting  more than gun season because I see WAY more deer.  I would think that most kids would get a greater love for the sport if they had an opportunity to see many deer and especially tag one over the course of the weekend.  99% of the people on here complaining will probably not even be near a youth hunter while in the woods that weekend.  My brother went 3 years before he saw a deer in the woods and now that he is older has no ambition to go sit in the woods.  If his first couple of years were successful or at least exciting I think it would have stuck with him.  I hope they stick with this new youth season until my daughter is old enuf.

I hope the kids scare the deer overy on my property...    ;D ;D
LOL

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
I've an idea, why doesn't the DEC make the whole state open Oct 1, close Dec 31. and you can use what ever weapon you want. solves allissues regarding crossbows, rifles, youthhunt etc.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
Wear your orange in and out of the stand. Are you guys really that upset about YOUTH hunting. Talk about a bunch of ____________________________________________!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enter a whole lot of words I can't type here. Give me a damn break. Bunch of greedy pukes. They are kids. Whatever gives them a better opportunity to shoot a deer the better. If one of my friends said something as stupid as some of this crap I just read I would punch him square in the mouth.

You are way off base...this isn't against the kids it is against the timing of the youth hunt...and my opinion is kids have everything handed to them on a silver plater these days as it is...they need to toughen up parents need to do a better job...not some stupid youth hunt the first weekend of bow season...I will be up that way during ice fishing so if you want to punch me in the face I give you permission to BRING IT! This fires me up...!  I have two kids and they will learn the right way to do things...and I don't care what anyone says the state is way off on this one...
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 08:15:10 PM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal