Author Topic: DMP's  (Read 5233 times)

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
DMP's
« on: Aug 19, 2004, 06:03:46 PM »
I don't know about the the rest of the state, but in my zone (7M) there was a high winter kill. As most of you know, in the past few years, the buck to doe ratio has been WAY WAY WAY out of balance. As a result of this winter kill, the # of DMP's around here are much lower. In fact, in 7M, the DMP's are being issued to land owners and disabled veterans only. I guess this is a good and bad thing. The population balance is now a little more even. However, I now am limited to taking a doe in 4N, where I have property. Because of the new rules which would allow my dad and I to sign our DMP's over to one another, we had planned on getting one for 7M and one for 4N. We lease a piece of property in 7M which is bordered by 9000 acres of stateland on 3 sides. But I don't believe we are considered landowners. Can anyone tell me how this would apply to my dad and I? and how has the winter kill has affected you?

-Zach

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
Re: DMP's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2004, 07:24:13 PM »
From the number of bucks I've been seeing,  I don't think 9P was affected by the winter kill the last 2 years as much as the DEC is saying. However on our property we usually see about 90% does and this year I have seen 95% bucks. Not quite sure what that means..........
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2004, 09:50:06 PM »
bunch of deer here, but I can't remember was WMU it is.. 4b maybe???  probably way off.  Middlesex, NY area has tons of deer.  Saw over 30 in a field tonight, one of which I am sure would score 140s easy... 
Come on Archery season

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2004, 09:10:33 AM »
I really can not say with certainty how the winter kill has played in our areas that we hunt. But on the outside it looks like business as usual with a high amount of Doe and the herd way out of balance still. Our areas are still very high on the take list. Got both DMP's for 8F and looks like will be left over for the draw and will go for 8F and 8J then.

I don't think as a "lease" "owner" you have any special rights as a true owner. On the land your Dad owns you would have preference there. I am sorry to hear that you had to buy a lease. I am not a fan of leases at all. I think we talked about that and your area is all getting gobbled up by leases.

Jon

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:49:20 AM »
Let me clarify something about our lease...we lease from a lumber company. They own the land, and use it for logging purposes once every 10 or so years. We pay the $300 a year for insurance, then only $5 an acre. We can do whatever we want on here, it's as if we own it. We do NOT lease from a hunting club, or a private owner, who charges a huge sum of $$$$$ for the year. Land is expensive, and it's hard to buy a good piece of land on our budget. So this is just as good.

-Zach

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2004, 08:15:32 AM »
CDS,  look in the application and find out who is the reigonal ECO and call and ask him/her.  If they don't know, they can point you in the right direction.  If nothing else call the reigonal HQTRS, and ask around.  Just an idea.

Steve

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2004, 01:17:24 PM »
We pay the $300 a year for insurance, then only $5 an acre. We can do whatever we want on here, it's as if we own it. We do NOT lease from a hunting club, or a private owner, who charges a huge sum of $$$$$ for the year.

This is how the idea of leases in general began. In the South where you are very hard pressed to find any land without paying for it. The leases were started by the lumber companies. Then every Tom, Dick and Hairy thought hey good idea or as you put it a hunting club, or a private owner, who charges a huge sum of $$$$$. And on one hand its hard for me to say anything about it because it is capitalism at work. For sure a good thing. On the other hand though And the bigger issue to support is that at some point all land and hunting will be by lease only or public land hunting. In a state where hunter numbers dwindle each and every year this is a very bad think for New York. However it does follow the New York trend of not much being to great....high property taxes, income taxxes, etc.....

Land is expensive, and it's hard to buy a good piece of land on our budget. So this is just as good.

I understand your predicament. I really do. Have a friend of mine that said the same thing, that is until he managed it for QDM for two years started to see results and the nest guy showed up with more money and bought his lease out.

Just my opinions.

Jon

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2005, 07:31:29 PM »
From the number of bucks I've been seeing,  I don't think 9P was affected by the winter kill the last 2 years as much as the DEC is saying. However on our property we usually see about 90% does and this year I have seen 95% bucks. Not quite sure what that means..........
hey send some of those big allegany county bucks over to 9t ;D please and thank you lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal