Author Topic: Food Plot Ideas  (Read 697 times)

Offline rocky

• 6 Pointer
Food Plot Ideas
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »
I'm considering planting something on the land i hunt.  I would like something that is attractive to deer in the later part of the season.  The property has a good amount of apple trees but when the apples are gone there is nothing left.  I am considering planting corn but i figured i would see what some of you guys are doing.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Re: Food Plot Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
I have planted a few different brands of food plots....... As far as a green plots goes from my experience i would suggest that Antler King Honey Hole is the best brand that I have come up with.  Corn on the other hand is a great food source, and good cover for whitetails, and if planted and maintained right can keep the deer with a vital source of food throughout the winter.

The thing i noticed about the ANtler king is the deer never really touched it much until after the first frost (which is supposed to happen)  the roots of the antler king hold sugars in them, and when the first frost comes along it shoots the sugars into the leaves and the deer just MAULED it! 
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline deebsey

• Nubbie
Re: Food Plot Ideas
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »
Unless you have access to the right equipment I would stray away from corn.  The seed & fert is very $$$ and you gotta plow and all the other BS right or it wont produce.  I would sugest looking at a seed store  in your area to see what they have and can get they look at the bags and see what they say as to when most productive and longevety.  We have numerous different plots (all something different) and the deer seem to be eating out of all of them.  I would say to keep them on the small side and plant more and have a variety for the deer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal