Author Topic: Zoar Valley MUA  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
Zoar Valley MUA
« on: Nov 13, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
     Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the Zoar Valley MUA.  On Monday, after hunting all archery 3-4 days a week, I was stopped and questioned why I was on the land I have had permission to hunt for 6yrs.  Upon further info I learned that the guy that owned the land died and the relative that inhereted it wasn't letting anyone hunt there anymore.  Big Suck...Saw 3 buck that a.m. and had been watching a real nice one.  So I did as asked took my stand down and left.  Now with a week till shotgun I find myself scrambling to find somewhere close to hunt.  I live in lake view and was just wondering about Zoar Valley its not far, better than going to E-ville ( where I have never hunted either), or to Randolph where I have hunted but do not particullary care for the long ride at 3:30a.m..  Any info would help I have been looking at the state maps and would likely be interested in the erie county 9H side of the crick.  Thanks for any help.  Not asking where to sit just some general info.

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
Re: Zoar Valley MUA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
Wow thanks for all the info...You guys are really the cream of the crop

Offline smokescreeks guy

• Forked
  • None will love the outdoors greater than the man o
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
i hunt the side wickam rd area  9m doe perimt not a bad area but a lot of guys opening  day then it slow down i hunt the frist  sect on the rigth side in the gullys seen some nice bucks there bow hunting i hope this helps i only hunt  this bow usally  lot of stateland in the area
    john
             When better is possible, good is never good enough                                aka BIGFISH  on the iceshanty            YELLOWPIKE on my fishfinder

Offline gump

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
Wow thanks for all the info...You guys are really the cream of the crop

I feel for your situation but come on bud, you really think people are going to respond to you with that sort of sarcasm?  This a very friendly forum from what I have seen, and if people aren't responding, it is probably because they are not familiar with that tract of land.  There is tens of thousands of acres of state land across the state.  All of it holds deer.  Some is better than others.  It takes some time and exploring but you can harvest a deer every year on stateland if you play your cards right and study the land.  It's not necessarily going ot happen overnight, but is very gratifying when you find those couple of spots.  Don't wait for someone to tell you where to go, hit the woods and shoot a deer.  You can't get them in front of a computer screen. 

Good Luck this season.

It's amazing that people ever shot deer before the dawn of hunting forums on the internet...... :-\
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2009, 05:30:30 PM by gump »

Offline MeatHunter737

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
very well put Gump.....I never even paid attention to where 9h is on a map, its kinda like askin him where in 6k or 7f is a good place to hunt......the point is...... go find a piece of stateland ( which is where not only I killed this years buck, but many bucks before this) and go for long walks untill you find sign you like... then find a stump or a nice tree with a view and take a seat......
I buy a SuperSportsman to put meat in the freezer...

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
Thanks for the info...  I have gone down there looked around, was told I need a permit to be there on the first day.  I wasnt asking where to hunt, where the big deer are, or where your stand is at.  Just wanted a little general info thats all.  I spend plenty of time doing my homework all preseason and archery season long with many hours spent in the woods.  If anyone has ever moved to a new state ( such as I have 8yrs ago ) it is very difficult to find places to hunt.  Yes I know there is state land but for the most part it is extremely far away and I have had trouble finding a hunting buddy that actually goes to hunt instead of going to camp to get bombed all night and all day (yes I like to throw a couple back, just not when Im pushing deer or while the gun or bow is out).  So in all I was just asking general info as I had just learned of this area, maybe I should have been more direct in my questioning.  I did have another area to hunt but quit going there do to assholes, people stealing tree stands, and a guy that felt he had to come sit by me while I was archery hunting and talk on his phone on a regular basis....Hunting is to be fun not to go and come home pissed.  Anyhow I dont think Im going there or anywhere on opening day, it really sucks I grew up hunting on our property and had access to 2,000 acres of private land to bad thats in PA.  Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2009, 07:50:36 AM »
Called the DEC no permit needed only for first day of pheasent

Offline Woodcutter5x5

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
ive hunted the 9M side many times right across from point peter road.
lots of deer seen and taken.theres also alot of state land up the road in east otto that we've hunt for 25+ years.
look at a map and theres tons of state land.
Where in ellicotville did you hunt?i hunt the raetcher road state land in greatvalley which isnt very far from e-ville.

Offline Irrgang131

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
ive hunted the 9M side many times right across from point peter road.
lots of deer seen and taken.theres also alot of state land up the road in east otto that we've hunt for 25+ years.
look at a map and theres tons of state land.
Where in ellicotville did you hunt?i hunt the raetcher road state land in greatvalley which isnt very far from e-ville.
I've never hunted in e-ville but I know where the state lands are at.  I have hunted off pierce run in randolph with some people I used to work with.  I like that area but its a hell of a haul.  So I am gonna try out Zoar Valley.  I likely am going to park at button rd. or possible the middle parking area between button and unger rd.  I've taken a couple rides down there but my wife has been busy this week and I've been stuck with the kids, 7yr old is ok but the 1 yr old isnt my idea of someone i want to take in the woods with me.  Im not crazy about hunting a busy place but gotta do what I gotta do to have fun.  Thanks for the info

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal