Author Topic: youth hunting bill  (Read 2208 times)

Offline pieman1998

• 6 Pointer
youth hunting bill
« on: Jul 08, 2008, 05:51:08 AM »
well the youth bill is on the Governor desk for a week or 2 now i hope he sing it 518-474-8390
love the outdoors

Offline pieman1998

• 6 Pointer
Re: youth hunting bill
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
so has everybody called the govern to sign the bill yet
love the outdoors

Offline Shed94

• 6 Pointer
  • 24/7 Antlerman
    • Shed Antler Nation
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »
From what I've read it sounds like he's going to sign it,lets hope so.
Antlers ~ N ~ Artifacts

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »
This is great news. Hopefully this will help the younger guys get back into Hunting.

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »
well the youth bill is on the Governor desk for a week or 2 now i hope he sing it 518-474-8390
Lets hope it goes through. You know as well as i do that the numbers of huntersout there are dropping off fast. I don't know if it has something to do with too many kids sitting on the couch watching TV or playing video games or the fact that their parrents have them doing too much at once and they don't have any intrest in the outdoors at all

upstatehunter

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:46:18 AM »
I think both are reasons for kids not getting into hunting. My son was with me every day at 14&15. Last year afterschool stuff and work kept him to just weekends. First year he didn't get a deer, that also bummed him out. He even quit the ski team, to have more time to hunt. It is a hard line to teach kids, To enjoy other things in life and savor every moment you can when you are in the woods.
I also know a few guys that don't take the kids, they only get a week to hunt with vacation and don't want to have to use it all taking the kid. Though I understand that, I haven't taken a deer in three years. All of my time has been used to get my son one.
So I guess with all there is for kids to do now, We as parents, and mentors, Have to make hunting at least one of those things.
I'm sure that getting them involved earlier will help that and keep our recreation going for years.

Offline pieman1998

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »
well did you guy's call the govern  ??? ??? ???
love the outdoors

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
You guys will be happy to hear that the Gov signed that bill into law today. But he Vetoed the bill that would have stopped the commercial sale of panfish.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
Nice!     

Offline pooley

• 6 Pointer
  • don't shoot the 2 legged dear!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
Gov. Paterson has signed the long-awaited Junior Big Game Hunting and Trapper Mentor Bill into law.

The new measure now allows 14- and 15-year-olds to hunt big game when accompanied by a person over 21 with at least three years of big-game hunting experience. It requires both the youth and mentor to wear hunter orange (minimum hat or vest; orange camouflage being acceptable); the mentor must maintain physical control over the minor at all times (in close physical proximity, in constant visual contact and able to issue verbal directions and instructions).

The inclusion of the blaze orange requirement reportedly helped the bill gain the support of many legislators who in the past have not supported lowering the age to hunt big game. The bill specifically prohibits the hunter and mentor from using treestands.

Another aspect of the bill is that it will allow an adult other than the parent or legal guardian, with written permission, to take a junior hunter out for small game at age 12.

It also allows youths less than 12 years of age to accompany a licensed trapper over 21, with at least three years of trapping experience, and participate in all aspects of trapping without requiring the youth to be licensed.

The measure takes effect immediately.

[email protected]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal