Author Topic: 357,44 mag and 45long colt  (Read 3871 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
357,44 mag and 45long colt
« on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:08:58 AM »
Just trying to get a general consensus, I know we can now use the above named calibers for deer in shotgun only zones. My issue is the why only lever action, I do understand the carbine issue but they do make rifles in other actions for the above calibers. Anyone have a opinion or reasoning for this? Most levers in those calibers are really hard to find and very expensive..

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: 357,44 mag and 45long colt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2022, 03:48:02 PM »
Not a fan of the new law myself. I have a Ruger .44 May carbine that’s a sweetheart of a shooter and is useless still lol. My shotgun will out shoot any of those calibers anyway so no sweat for me.

I feel like it was a way to get all straight wall cartridges in the door to start and once they realize it’s not a bad thing they will loosen up on the law some more
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2022, 06:36:44 PM »
I don't really have a problem either way on this. You could always use those calibers before, just not in rifle form. Love carrying my super Blackhawk 44 from time to time.
My thought is it could just be another one of those efforts to get more involved? Some younger or older generation may not shoot a higher caliber handgun, but a lever rifle in these calibers is somewhat easy. Kind of like the whole crossbow thing. Another avenue to get more hunters involved possibly.
I am absolutely a lever guy. Love em. Have many. It's all I used to carry when I hunted Maine for many many years(the BLRs, 94s, and 336 sit in the safe for now) So for myself, i have tried and true weapons for my given area, I haven't even carried a shotgun for deer in 8 -10 years, muzzleloader is what I prefer,  but I could see where this could be fun(that Henry big boy X looks like a blast).
Interesting point as well Frank, that maybe its opening the door for something in the future.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 06:40:21 PM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Traded my 1895 guide gun in 45/70 it was a original Marlin, JM stamped. Traded for a 35 Whelen pump.

Ruger is now producing them for Marlin so I imagine they will be quality. If so I’ll buy another. I still rifle hunt a lot now that I moved to Maine. In N.H. I rub my muzzleloader ( Woodman arms) they are amazing. Come shotgun though I take my Ithaca, it’s a legit 200 yard gun so why not have 4 shots is my thinking.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:11:38 PM »
Traded my 1895 guide gun in 45/70 it was a original Marlin, JM stamped. Traded for a 35 Whelen pump.

Ruger is now producing them for Marlin so I imagine they will be quality. If so I’ll buy another. I still rifle hunt a lot now that I moved to Maine. In N.H. I rub my muzzleloader ( Woodman arms) they are amazing. Come shotgun though I take my Ithaca, it’s a legit 200 yard gun so why not have 4 shots is my thinking.
Oh man. An 1895 guide in 45/70 is really the only lever I don't have that I always wanted. I used one when I was younger. Sweet piece.
My prize and fav though is my BLR model 81 in 08. It was a sweet piece for hunting the big woods of Maine. Like the 1895, great size for carrying 5-10 miles a day and shoots like a dream.
Maybe someday I'll hunt up north again.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »
Useto enjoy taking my Ruger wheel gun as well. Had a Redhawk, also traded for a .35 Whelen pump lol.

I think you hit it in the head with youth and elders Jason. Those calibers have less recoil, are easier and lighter to carry and hold up to shoot.

The ammo is cheaper even with prices now, my slugs are about 5 bucks per shot.

Shot range is about the same, prob less in my opinion. In those zones your typically not launching bombs anyhow.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:15:42 PM »
Oh man. An 1895 guide in 45/70 is really the only lever I don't have that I always wanted. I used one when I was younger. Sweet piece.
My prize and fav though is my BLR model 81 in 08. It was a sweet piece for hunting the big woods of Maine. Like the 1895, great size for carrying 5-10 miles a day and shoots like a dream.
Maybe someday I'll hunt up north again.

Love BLR’s, wicked strong action and so many caliber options. Some of the 81’s are. takedown models, kinda cool for some situations, I wonder if accuracy is sacrificed? The box mag is a huge selling point for me. It’s ideal in my opinion. I don’t care for the looks of tube mags on Henry’s only thing that bugs me about them, msn they are pretty otherwise and quality. The tube mag just reminds me of plinking with my Marlin model 60 as a kid lol.

Easier than jacking each shell out though
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 08:16:55 PM by aquaassassin »

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:07:04 AM »
I don't do much rifle hunting down where i am just muzzleloader and shotgun. muzzleloader is a beast out to 150 yds and the shotgun is a tack driver at 100yds that's a smoothbore 1187 too. have only used my winchester 30-30 once, was my grandfathers. Trying to talk my nephew into selling me his 357 rossi he never shoots was his grandfathers don't know if ill ever use it to hunt tough to shy away from the 2 guns i trust. But do think it would be a novelty to try. I guess i should try and shoot one with my 357 mag first before i go to the rifle.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »
Love BLR’s, wicked strong action and so many caliber options. Some of the 81’s are. takedown models, kinda cool for some situations, I wonder if accuracy is sacrificed? The box mag is a huge selling point for me. It’s ideal in my opinion. I don’t care for the looks of tube mags on Henry’s only thing that bugs me about them, msn they are pretty otherwise and quality. The tube mag just reminds me of plinking with my Marlin model 60 as a kid lol.

Easier than jacking each shell out though
This absolutely! The box mag is one of the great features of this gun. Mine isn't a takedown. Even if it was I'd see no real reason, they're pretty compact as it is. I'm not a fan of takedown guns at all though anyways.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »
This absolutely! The box mag is one of the great features of this gun. Mine isn't a takedown. Even if it was I'd see no real reason, they're pretty compact as it is. I'm not a fan of takedown guns at all though anyways.

I’m with you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal