Author Topic: Vermont Turkey Hunting  (Read 4109 times)

Offline ChattNFHunter

• Nubbie
Vermont Turkey Hunting
« on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
Hey guys.  I'm a college student at the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga and me and my roommate are getting ready for graduation in the next year.  We have decided to go on a DIY out of state Turkey hunt this May as a kind of last "Hoorah" so we started researching places to go.  Problem was we don't get out of school for summer until May 5th and many state's seasons are either winding down or are already over. However, when we saw many Northern states had seasons that were just starting around that time, we settled on Vermont as our destination.  We are planning to start our trip around the Rutland area, but we are pretty much going to free float around for the week wherever we decide to go. 

After the back story, I just have a few questions I was hoping maybe some of y'all could help us out with.

1. What public lands can you hunt? 
     - The Green Mountain NF
     - All State Forests?
     - All WMA's
     - Town Forests and City Forests?
     - National Recreation Areas? (ex: Robert T. Stafford White Rocks)
     - Any State Parks?
  Anything from this list that I am missing that could be a potential public land hunting opportunity?

2. If we are in the woods fairly deep and we are hunting but also carrying fishing poles, after the 12 PM cut off are we allowed to fish for the rest of the day while toting our shotguns unloaded or do we have to bring them back to the truck to continue fishing?

3. In reality, what are the chances for us, being two out of state hunters, to come up there and be able to obtain permission to hunt private land?  Are most landowners receptive to turkey hunters?

4. Are there any decent primitive campsites in or around Rutland that is near the Green Mountain NF and some of the WMA's like Whipple Hollow, Hubbardton Battlefield, Blue Berry Hill, and Bird Mountain?  Any campsites that have showering facilities?

5. Last, if willing, do any of y'all have any opinions on places to try out or areas to start searching for turkeys?  We are coming up for 4 days of hunting, and this will most likely be the only time we ever come to Vermont to hunt turkeys or anything else for that matter.  We really aren't looking to steal anyones spots but if anyone could give us general areas in the Greens or just good WMA's to start at we would really appreciate the help.  Even if we aren't lucky enough to connect with a bird we will have a successful trip, because this trip is mostly about the adventure, the beauty of the mountains, and the memories made.  But we would still like to give ourselves a fighting chance a a VT gobbler. 

Thank you guys for any and all info you can provide us with on these questions. Also, thanks for reading all of this if you made it this far.  It was a pretty long read and I apologize.  We have a lot of questions we are trying to find answers for to be prepared for this trip! 

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Vermont Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Welcome to the site...   NY is open the whole month of May... ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline ChattNFHunter

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
Thanks!  And I think we are pretty set on Vermont.  Just kind of stuck out to us for some reason!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
I'd check in the Dorset ; Rupert area just south of Rutland , Lot's of old farm country around there and here it is pretty plentiful
with birds . Most people around here like to be asked to hunt there property and you will most likely get a yes you can . Good
luck with your adventure  :)

Offline ChattNFHunter

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
Thanks Green Mountain Hunter!  I appreciate the direction! We will have to give it a go down in that area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal