Author Topic: Wildlife Management Units  (Read 1532 times)

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
  • I grunt, therfore I am.
Wildlife Management Units
« on: Sep 20, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
I.ve lost some access to spots due to sales, trespasser's ect So checked out some some wmu.s this summer. Don't know what to expect this fall. maybe great, maybe a guy in every tree. Never hunted public land. looked at and walked Canadaway. Any experience with these?
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: Wildlife Management Units
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
it is hard to tell you what to expect hunting public land.. Get yourself off the road and try to hunt what you would think is xscape routes during your heavy hunted days... We also hunt public st times and do pretty good...also try your luck at midweek hunts if you can to try to get you away from the crowds just remember the deer ddon't leave the woods after opening week they just know the game and you gotta get in the thick... Also im a huge fan of deer pattering people later in the season by that i mean most guys in the woods at 5am out by 9am then back in the afternoon to be out at sundown, well I try the whole mid days hunts and in fact 2 seasons ago I killed 3 between 11-2 when I was the only one in the woods... Sorry I was kinda all over the place good luck this season

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Hunting state land can be very good or a nightmare.  I stopped hunting state land in region 9P because of large unethical drives.  We have seen wounded deer left to suffer, fawns killed but not tagged, crazy shooting, drunken hunters, etc.  But here is a constructive suggestion.  Contact the DEC and speak with an officer who patrols the area you are interested in.  He/she will be able to tell you what to expect as far as other hunters and game conditions.  Good luck to you.  jperch

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
thanks guys, I think I will call. also need to ask about using an atv to pull game out if successful and overnight parking. the signs say written permission on camping.
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »

NyDuckman is spot on. I hunt State land almost exclusively and take deer year after year. Pattern hunters, and this takes time, years really. but hunt escape routes and try and avoid obvious spots that are near parking areas, they will be occupied. As far as atv's they are not allowed, get a game cart. Camping is allowed but check with the econ and see if a permit is needed.
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »

NyDuckman is spot on. I hunt State land almost exclusively and take deer year after year. Pattern hunters, and this takes time, years really. but hunt escape routes and try and avoid obvious spots that are near parking areas, they will be occupied. As far as atv's they are not allowed, get a game cart. Camping is allowed but check with the econ and see if a permit is needed.
Thanks mook

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »
I hunt state land all the time and play the game all the time. Most years I find people  the thickest 50 to 100 yards off the road, like there is some imaginary line they are not allowed to cross  ;D. If you look in swampy or rough terrain most will avoid those. I have a friend who loves when the driving groups arrive. He knows the terrain and positions himself to get the shots.

Around here ATV's are not allowed, but those game carts are awesome. It's even better when your friends come to hunt and you put them in a spot way back in and you put them on deer. they complain all the way back during the drag, and buy you a cart so they have it next time!

By the way, I have private land I hunt on opening weekend of gun. After that the state land around here hardly see's anyone until the opening of late muzzle loader.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
I hunt a lot of state land.  Look for spots 1/4 mile or farther in and you will see far fewer guys.  I suggest a lot of orange when moving and a light for dark and low light conditions.  After opening weekend and Thanksgiving, there will be far fewer guys.  Good luck!

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Thanks gents, Im in. Google maps are helping with the squeeze plays Otis and seems like timing is key. Surprised to hear about guys in muzz. season Fluke. Thought most would be done by then. Or given up...I have a problem with that, im scraping and clawing till the last second. Seasons short ya know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal