Author Topic: My Moose Hunt  (Read 13365 times)

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
Re: My Moose Hunt
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »
Nice mount mainiac, good spot for it too.

Offline Mainiac

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks ......it was the hunt of a lifetime and I relive it every time I look at the mount.

Offline minnowguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
Looks real nice.

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
heres a pic of a bull i killed year before last....we spotted him from the road on our way home from a black bear hunt(unsuccessful stalk), and my buddy and I crossed a good sized creek and split up with me going right...he was with a couple of cows (didnt see them until after the shot) in a thick stand of spruce surrounded by 7-9' willows thick as ive ever seen...My buddy was callin to him by the time i got near him, and when I cut thru the brush into the spruce stand, i walked right into the bull and anchored him in his tracks at less than 7 yards with my 30-0-6 mauser...his spread was just over 53" with a 3 brow tines on one side....when i shot, my buddy thought i was shooting at a cow, because that was all he could see from his position. that same cow almost ran me down hahaha....it was a good fun trip... Last year I killed a slightly smaller bull with a .22 revolver while I was hunting spruce hens. I had hunted moose in the area earlier that day but with no luck...My rifle was back at the truck and while I sat resting under a tree, I looked over and was shocked to see a 48" bull pawing the ground and snorting at me less than 15 yards away...Once I saw he had 3 brows tines on his left side I took a real careful shot and hit him just behind the ear, he dropped like a sack of rocks. It was the last day of the season.
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
awesome trophy by the way....i didnt realize there were alot of big moose in maine....

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
oh and one more thing, you guys are sorta lucky down there...it seems like your moose have a smaller body size....that bull in the pic weighed 1200+ lbs and the biggest one ive ever killed here in AK was actually a 36" bull in unit 20 (any bull) that was around 1400... however i have seen bulls, and cows, for that matter, that would easily push 1700-1850lbs easy during the prime feeding season....

Offline Mainiac

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
Yes, mine would have weighed about 850 earlier in the season but was shot after the peak of the rut. They claim they loose 100 to 150 pounds

Offline clearwateralaskaoutfitter

• Nubbie
  • Ben Holbrook
    • moose hunting alaska
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
Can you, share some images?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal