Author Topic: When did it all begin?  (Read 55205 times)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
When did it all begin?
« on: Jun 30, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
I saw this question posted on MFF and thought it would be a good topic here..........

When did everyone begin hunting and fishing?

I started fishing in 1987 at 2 years old. My father would cast out my old Zebco 202 and hold a hand on the rod while I fought and cranked in my first Brookies. I was hooked ever since.

I started hunting with my dad in the 1992 season at age 8 with my red and black plaid jacket and pants and green Kamik rubbers with a wool orange hat, I would just tag along behind him and watch every little thing he did soaking it in like a sponge in the deer woods. I could never stand still or be quiet and still can't but if I am in the woods or on the water I can get lost in the zone and don't make a peep and have all the patience in the world. When I was 9 I harvested my first animal a snowshoe hare with an old single shot 16 ga. that had duct tape on the barrel to hold it to the stock, remember it like it was yesterday running my cousins beagles..........  good times!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: When did it all begin?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »
My father really got me into fishing at a young age. I think I won my first junior bass tournament in 1989. Thats right I was 8. Fished several years before that too. Shame I got away from in my teen years girls and partying is what I did. I could have been the next KVD. >:( Wait a minute I probably still could be. ;D ;D

I started hunting at the age of 12. Dad would take me out out with him before that though.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Can't remember....Too old.  ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
Started fishing with my uncle Harold and my brother in his boat way back when 1969 , He got around on crutches , Went Turkey hunting in the fall of 1974 I
think remember that trip real well . him and me pulled his camper down to Pawlet VT.  his son in law Chris met us down there hunted all day Saturday Chris got one
just started haven Turkey hunting in the state they released 13 birds from Pennsylvania If I remember right . Anyway supper time came I brought some steaks they
were still frozen took a hatchet on a fence post cleaned the BIRD POOP off the top of the post and split the steaks apart had for supper still taste good  :P Never forget that when he told my mother what I did  :) :) :) That what I learned what hunting camp was all about , Have breakfest put your silverware on the table and flip your
plate over so the flies don't get at it come back flip over and eat again ,He always talked about the time I went turkey hunting with him , He sure could get around the woods with those aluminum crutches though . Been hooked Every since Those were the day's Started deer hunting the same fall  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2012, 06:13:43 AM »
Really don't remember but I know Dad and his buddies carried me on their shoulders When we went coon hunting. All my first experiences with Hunting was with a Hound of some sort. Bear, Coon or Hare. Didn't start Deer hunting until mid teens. There weren't any deer here to speak of to hunt anyway.
Fishing was either salt water Tatog ,porgy's, Bluefish or Ice cold trout streams of the white Mtn's in N.H. I would spend weeks at dad's camp with my Grandparents. I would get Nana or Gramp's to drop me off at one location and pick me up down stream at a given time. I was late a lot which is probably why I'm Early for everything now. ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
62 years ago when I was 8 and I'm not ready to stop yet.I can't wait for November for 10 days of their rifle season.

Peddler :)
Peddler

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
I don't remember exactly when I started fishing, but distinctly remember bullheads at the farm across the street when I was between 5 and 8.  Haven't stopped since.

I do remember going to our family's hunting camp as well as a blind in an orchard (probably before I was five), but first hunting experience in the field wasn't unit when I was 14 or so.  Guy mom was dating would take me, and I would sit in the blind with him.  He was a butcher and chef by trade, so I saw him break down and package a lot of deer in the basement of his restaurant for friends.  He used to have me come over and skin them for him so he could go down and process them in between sending meals out of the kitchen.  Funny thing though, I never got my license back then.  I never took my hunter safety course until about eight or nine years ago.  In a way, I look back and consider that fifteen years of my life wasted.  Still waiting on my first deer....
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
hunting 2 years ago and loving it....got a late start but I sure am trying to make up for it....fishing for 20 years or so...love that as well....

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Love to hunt and fish and have been doing both since before I can remember.  No idea when really other than I turned 30 this spring so sometime after '82  8)  Got my first hunting liscence at 8 yrs old and moved to PA when I was 11 and was too young to buy a liscence  :-[  Had to go back to Vt and shot my first buck that year ;)  Put a few more into the freezer since

Chimo

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
Had it in my blood at a young age..... ;D ;D

"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
Nice pics cactus jack!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
   Very Very Nice Pic's : I personally love the old time pictures Don't see them any more ; You sure had some hair back then
    hahahaha :) :)  How does it feel being a cactus
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2012, 05:17:01 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Can't be Dom...  Stache that thick would have started at an earlier age    ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
     You sure had some hair back then
    hahahaha :) :) 

In the pictures I'm the one sitting on the deer and the one holding the gun....The guy that looks like Maverick/James Garner is dad...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »

I started fishing when I was 3, my dad always took my brother & myself, mostly salt water fishing. I didn't start hunting until I was 29, but made up for the late start.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal