Author Topic: Moose Rifle  (Read 9295 times)

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
Moose Rifle
« on: Jul 31, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Ive applied for a ND moose tag for 30 years and not gotten one... so I decided a guided hunt is in store for me this year.  Studied moose success rates/cost etc and decided a hunt on the Rock was the place to go.  Heading to Gander NL the middle of Oct.  I'm hoping for a shot with a bow but realize its the end of the rut so plan on bringing a backup rifle.....  What do you moose hunters think a .270 win or a .300 WSM  Im guessing the .300WSM.  To be honest if we can't call a bull in Ill be happy with any moose.  Have any of you hunted north of the border...Newfoundland?

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
Re: Moose Rifle
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
For the caliber, I'd pick the one that can throw a heavier bullet which is probably the .300 WSM. I'm in Maine and the .300 WM is popular for moose and I assume the .300 WSM can be loaded in any of the .30 caliber grain bullets. A .270 will also take down any moose but the bullet grains tend to be more suited for deer IMHO. My wife got drawn for a bull permit up here in Sept. and I'm the shooter cause she is not a hunter. I'm using a 30-06 with 180gr rem core lokt cause I'm familiar with that round and it is readily available. Honestly, shot placement is everything but I would't go after moose with any bullet grain lighter than 160gr. We pull them out ourselves and can't afford to have a 1,000 lb bull run into a swamp a half a mile before it drops. Ask the guides what they think, they're familiar with the terrain. Probably the most important thing will be to know your rifle and how the bullets you use are flying, just like you know your bow and arrow. I've never hunted a Newfie moose. Good luck!

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
Either will work. Shot placement is the key like anything.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
Bullet integrity is faaaaaar mor important then it's weight. Example, a 270 shooting a partition that's 150 gr is a far better option the ANY 300  shooting a heavy for caliber core loss, game king or interlock.

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
Bullet integrity is faaaaaar mor important then it's weight.
I'd rather hunt wildebeest with ANY 300+ grain bullet than any 50 grain with great "integrity".

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Congratulations, you clearly took it to a unreasonable extreme....you seem to always have some foolish and childish response to everything. You seem to know a lot about this subject so why don't you teach me something professor?

If you read the post he was comparing two very similar calibers. Not a .222 and a .450.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
id go w/ the 300wsm w/ a big game bullet like the partition in 165grn. a 270 w/ the 150grn. will do the job but with a choice id go bigger. 165grn. shoots a little flatter than the 180 grn. with a little more velocity for the possibility of a long range road or clearcut shot. also an awesome big buck round. my bro.s a guide and many of his sports used his gun w/ that load. most dropped w/ 1 shot w/ good shot placement. massive damage!  friggin' deadly!

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
I used the 300WSM with a 165 gr Barnes triple shock..... in retroscope prob should have used a bigger gun.  Called the bull out of the thickets at 200yds.  Broadside shot, guide said he thought I missed as it didn't even flinch.. second shot same...third...same.  Guide was worried Id missed him.  He went down 25 min later as hadn't come out with me on the ridge above the bog and spruce thicket...he had only gone 10 ft in (couldn't see from above though)  I had hit him all three times lung and heart.

Offline oldpro51

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
Well congrats on your 1st moose !!!  seems like you had enough gun the moose is in your freezer ...... I use a 30.06 and shoot 165 grain bullets with great results .... sometimes it just the animal  even if you hit them right on the money ..... I ve seem bull caribou drop right on the spot and pronghorn antelope run 100 yards same bullet and shot placement.... you had a tough moose that only made it 10 yards after being hit ..... 3 shots .. that was the least expensive part of the hunt ... I always told my kids ... boys and girls ...never believe the old ( he was dead on his feet ) couldn't believe he went that far  !!! if they are on their feet they AINT DEAD  !!! great job on scratching one off your bucket list after the 30 year wait !!!

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
Congrats! Do you have any pics to post. I was fortunate also and dropped a bull in his tracks with a 30-06 shooting 180 grain rem core-lokt. I guess I didn't a "partition".

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
Use a gun that you are confortabe. With, 30 caliber or better, love s of new ones out there , short mags , practice as much as u can, luck

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »
I used the 300WSM with a 165 gr Barnes triple shock..... in retroscope prob should have used a bigger gun.  Called the bull out of the thickets at 200yds.  Broadside shot, guide said he thought I missed as it didn't even flinch.. second shot same...third...same.  Guide was worried Id missed him.  He went down 25 min later as hadn't come out with me on the ridge above the bog and spruce thicket...he had only gone 10 ft in (couldn't see from above though)  I had hit him all three times lung and heart.
i used to help a guide friend pull out downed moose. he had a sport that was shooting a 375 h.h mag. found a 1000lb. 65in. bull standing broadside 100 yrs. in a clearcut. fired 1st. shot the moose starting running. he fired 2 more times. the moose disappeared in the woodbine. my friend was upsest telling the hunter that was the biggest bull of the season and couldn't believe he missed. they walked out to where the moose was standing. there where quarts of blood everywhere along his path coming out both sides if him. nearly a quarter mile away in a swamp they found his moose. he hit him 3 times in a 3in. group destroying the heart liver and lungs! you could put your fist thru his chest! he was dead w/ the 1st. shot. goes to show you even with the biggest gun with the best placed shot, they're a big animal with incredible strength and stamina! my buddy had to apologize to the hunter.

Offline smontague

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »
.270 with an Accubond is money.

Offline clearwateralaskaoutfitter

• Nubbie
  • Ben Holbrook
    • moose hunting alaska
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
300 Wildcat is best rifle for Moose Hunting. https://clearwateralaskaoutfitters.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal