Author Topic: first big buck of the season..................... well almost  (Read 3554 times)

Offline matty23

• Forked
so the dad and i didn't get the earliest start we wanted this morning. we were gonna go in at dark and he was gonna sit till noon, so we go in about 8:00 am he decides to sit and i go on about 500yds past him and come to a few rubs and a really good runway and decided this is gonna be my spot for the day. so after having  a flock a partridges (sp) scare the heck out of me i decided to clear my spot spray some doe urine and hit the doe bleat.......... well i do that for about   45 Min's and all of the sudden something cathes my left eye so i stop the bleat. then it moves again and the heart starts pounding harder then it lifts its head  and i see at least 4 on one side  "omg " i say to myself  so i click the hammer back as he decides to walk behind the biggest tree in the north country and stays there for what seemed like 45 Min's. so i decided to hit the doe bleat and he moves about 5 feet into the only good shot i had so i hit the bleat again and he stops and looks right at me so i slowly put him in the cross hairs and slowly click the safety off and then BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         he looks right at me  and i say what the heck so i eject one and throw another one in  pull up and just  as i get ready to shoot again off hes goes and i decided to pass on shooting him on the run... then i get on the radio and say "dad i missed" he said well wait and maybe  he will either come back or maybe you did hit him..... well i waited 45 Min's  went over and looked and saw no blood or hair 
so no deer for me  >:( :( :( :( :(   i know he was at least a 6 and iam sure he had more id say at least 175lbs   
but theres always tomorrow  :) :)
matty

upstatehunter

Re: first big buck of the season..................... well almost
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »
AWWW man, that stinks. Have you shot the gun to see it is on? A little bump can make it way off. I feel for ya bud. I would be buried in venison if I ever hit every one I shot at. Buck fever, ain't it grand!!! Now you are getting to see why Wade and I get so pumped for hunting season.
I had a spike come and go all day yesterday, and as the boys on here said let the little one go. Today saw a small deer at daylight, going to sit all day the rest of my vacation. Deer are moving allot. good luck this weekend.

Offline matty23

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »
yeah iam thinking it may have been off some.......... ::)  it prolly got bumped but iam thinking shot gun tomorrow.............
matty

upstatehunter

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2008, 05:47:55 AM »
Just a side note to this bud. I walked back to see the blood trail and where I shot. He never left a spot of blood on the snow. Only a few hairs where I shot would tell you I even hit it.

Offline matty23

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:12:32 AM »
we tracked for 3 hrs and never found anything........... so iam thinking i just flat out missed haha :)
matty

upstatehunter

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:27:49 AM »
So I never did ask, did you shoot the gun before the season? Or did it just get bumped after you checked it.
(it was off quite high it seems)
I'm going to buy a laser bore sighter to be able to check it from time to time as the season goes along.
Good luck this week end and next. You keep seeing them and it will happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal