Author Topic: Patience pays off: A Massachusetts deer hunting story  (Read 5790 times)

Offline JF5

• Nubbie
Patience pays off: A Massachusetts deer hunting story
« on: Mar 17, 2008, 12:56:41 PM »
Thursday Dec 8th, 2005. Second week of MA shotgun season, Zone 1.

I started at 6:30am This time the weather was clear and cold, with temps in the 20's, with N NW wind about 5mph. The previous day I had pushed out three doe just before dark on a stillhunt. So the plan was to go back to these oaks today. I knew a big storm was coming on Friday and figured the deer would be feeding before it came in. I took my time still hunting up the hill. The higher I got, the more sign I saw. I also saw bobcat and bear tracks. The cold weather today made things more crunchy on the oak flat, making still hunting fruitless. So at 3:30pm I set up over the feeding area. About 25-30 minutes later three does go through. Cool. Oh, here comes more deer. And more. In just that few minutes I had 7 does walk by! I was psyched just to see so many deer together. The last doe was acting strange before she went over the hill. A minute later I see why. Here comes a buck! I can see him clear as day but have no shot with all the whips around. He's mulling a bit, taking in a few acorns but really was following the other deer. He starts to move, so I get into position, picked a spot ahead of him, and put the gun up. I am trying to control myself and my breathing but the rush was upon me. After rummaging a few more acorns he starts walking to my lane. He's almost there...safety is off, I put my finger on the trigger..my heart is pounding. Here we go.......BUT.... he then just drops down the hill right before he gets to my lane. Man was that close. I put the gun down.... Wait, here comes another deer. Its another buck!! He starts to eat a few acrons. I watch him, but still have no shot on this deer either, just too many whips. Out of the corner of my right eye, I see one of the deer that passed by is coming back up. Its the first buck!! I put the binocs on him...yep...he's got horns. I see him approach the other buck... The two bucks then proceed to spar, locking antlers. I can see them both, but still no shot. I can hear the antlers clicking. One of the bucks backs up a bit and then they lock again. Sure enough...I can see his shoulder through a small hole in the whips. Both bucks heads are now behind a log, still locked in their sparring match. I raise the gun slow, and put the sights on the shoulder. Breath deep, and squeeze. The shot was about 65-70 yards, and I knew I hit the buck good with the 12 gauge sabot slug. The other buck was looking around for a few seconds after I shot, with his rear facing me. He then walked off over the hill. I walk over...no blood or hair. I walk another 10 feet and see the deer pilled up against the tree. He ran only about 12 yards. I hit him a little low, but still clipped both lungs and busted his right shoulder and put him down. He was no monster buck by any means. 3 points on one side and a broken antler on the other side. But I was very happy, as it had been a long time since i had taken a buck in MA. Took me three hours to drag him to my vehicle by myself. It was almost 2 miles...thank god it was downhill and some old snow.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Patience pays off: A Massachusetts deer hunting story
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
Great story! :D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
Good job in picking an ambush site. Got to love it when a plan comes together. Welcome to the site, that was a great first post.

Offline JF5

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Just the expereince of seeing these two young bucks spar was fantastic. I felt the hunt was a sucess even before I got the deer because of that.

Offline devroy

• Fawn
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:39:52 AM »
i like hunting very much .iused to go on hunting . last time when i hunted a deer with cross

bow i found it very impressive so if any body is fond of hunting then it is suitable for him

to hunt with a cross bow . here are some pictures related to bow hunting . when i hunted

with a cross bow i found there was no any noise while hunting at the same time when you hunt

with a fire gun it produces so much noise and your hunt become concious after hearing that

noise and you are not able to aim your hunt again but in the case of cross bow hunting there

is no any noise and your aim or hunt remain unconcious and you are able to aim it again and

it was good experience to hunt with a cross bow . i also seen so many  videos on national

geographyc on cross bow hunting and i liked it so much iam also interested in these kind of

weapons and i enjoy making a collection of these .the reason i liked

cross bow weapons

so much because you just not only use it for a particuler type of hunting but you can use it

in all kind of hunting and your protection also.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:46:58 AM »
Way to go JF5, sounds like a very exciting hunt!
Devroy..... ??? Whats that all about :o

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:26:11 AM »
Great story JF5. Felt like I was there. Congratulations..

devroy, welcome to the site, but whats your story about? It has nothing to do with JF5's story..Besides that, its very hard to understand the point your trying to make, if there is one at all..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:33:51 AM »
Great Story JF5!!   Congratulations on getting that Buck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal