Author Topic: Deer Movement  (Read 4278 times)

Offline OneShotWonder

• Nubbie
  • Maggot on MFF, lil maggot on the Shanty
Deer Movement
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 04:23:48 PM »
Hello, everyone. Lately I have taken a liking to muzzle loader hunting, which in PA is from the day after Christmas to mid-January. The deer are generally spooked and hard to find, so you have to find them.
I was wondering what deer, specifically whitetail, do in certain weather conditions.

I know that on cold, sunny days, they like to lay in the sun, and preferably out of the wind. But on days like today where we have a rain/snow mix, there seem to be no deer in the woods. Does anybody know where I might find some in such conditions? My initial thought was in thickets, but most of those where I hunt are almost impenetrable. If anybody can offer some tips on how to find deer on poor weather days, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
                                   -Dan
If it's brown, it's down

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: Deer Movement
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
hi oneshot!! I also hunt the PA flintlock season over in Bradford county!! I myself notice late in the year like this I find more deer on their feet mid day during the warmest part of the day!! but as for your question about were might you find deer during nasty weather iv always done well walking the edges of pine thickets or ravines were they may be out of the wind

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal