Author Topic: Squirrels?  (Read 8580 times)

Offline allextremesfishing

• 6 Pointer
Squirrels?
« on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
anyone have any recipies for Squirrels?

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
Re: Squirrels?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
I always use to clean them up good then boil them in water.  Pick all the meat off the bone and threw it into a spaghetti sauce.  Had many a friend chow it down with me...   If I have a few, I like to pull the little back straps out and fry em up in a pan like chicken breast.  They make real good fajita's,, just get a packet from the store.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »
Scroll down. there is another post on squirrel recipes. My favorite is pot pie.

Offline jonnyneu

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Chicken fried squirrel
coat pcs. w/flour,salt ,pepper put grease in heavy fry pan(castiron) med heat
fry 10-15 min.,turn often,til golden brown
turn heat to low and cover for 12-15 min.,turn 1 time
uncover,heat up to med-med hi for 10-12 min.
turn as needed,make sauce withflour/heavy cream in drippings if you like
enjoy

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
Chicken fried squirrel
coat pcs. w/flour,salt ,pepper put grease in heavy fry pan(castiron) med heat
fry 10-15 min.,turn often,til golden brown
turn heat to low and cover for 12-15 min.,turn 1 time
uncover,heat up to med-med hi for 10-12 min.
turn as needed,make sauce withflour/heavy cream in drippings if you like
enjoy

I've had em like this too,,  very good   especially the little backstraps

Offline jonnyneu

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:47:11 AM »
They are the Bomb this way!I can't keep them comin' fast enough!

Offline Somers

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »
Do  a google search for Brunswick stew.  Lots of variations, but good for squirrels.

Aside from that I like them first, similar to jonnyneu...salt and pepper some quartered pieces (note, I have done away with using the front legs.  Just the rear quarters and cut the back/rib potrion in half to get 4 pieces).  Coat pieces in seasoned flour and brown in bacon drippings.  Remove from fat and toss in some garlic cloves and chopped onion.  Add squirrel back in and add chicken stock to cover with a sprig of fresh thyme or sage.  Reduce heat to simmer and go do something for 3 hours or so until the meat is fork tender.  Come back hungry and add a cup of heavy cream before you dig in.  Good over egg noodles or just some biscuits or bread to sop.

Second, simmer in lightly salted water for 1.5 hours.  Drain and then dredge in plain flour.  Heat some extra virgin olive oil to medium and brown the pieces.  remove and drain on paper towels.  Discard most of the oil, but keep enough to sweat some chopped onion, celery, and carrots.  Add a bay leaf and a smashed garlic clove.  Then add a half a bottle of red or white wine depending on your taste.  I prefer cabernet.  then add a splash of worchestershire and a chicken boulllion cube.  Bring back to a boil and add the squirrel back in.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 30-60 min. until the meat is fork tender.  Good with a side of rice, roasted potatoes, or noodles.

Offline Somers

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »
PS forgot to mention the above recipes are good with rabbits and tougher pheasants as well...

And you can substitute a can of cream of mushroom soup for the wine and bouillion cube in the second for a creamy variation.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
Is it possible to get a "tough" pheasant ?  ;)

Offline Somers

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
Not likely around where I hunt now since they're all released birds these days.

Where I had permission years ago were all wild birds.  I recall a couple of them were better suited for the dog than me.

Offline fiftycal

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:51:29 PM »
I marinate the quartered squirrel in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce for about an hour (or overnight if you want). About 10 minutes before cooking I add in a little brown sugar to the marinade. I melt some butter in a pan and boil/fry them in the marinade and butter until cooked. They are good to eat like that I usually use ranch as a sauce to eat them with.  They are also good like that with some mashed potatoes and gravy.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011, 02:45:44 PM by fiftycal »

Offline PSEapex

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
my favorite squirrel recipe is to marinade the squirrle in italian dressing for 3 days  then season it wth salt and pepper. then pan fry it to get the outside crispy. after that put it in the oven until its cooked.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »
That sounds pretty good pse

Offline sniperwolf

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
my uncle used to boil them for 1.5 to 2 hrs then fry them in a couple tablespoons of lard till crispy then hed add salt pepper flour and some of the water he boiled in till he had a nice white creamy sauce hed let it simmer awhile then serve it over bisquits. hes since passed away and i never get the reciepe right. :-[ i must b missing something?thats all i remember of it though.sure was delicious!!MEMERIES   ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal