Author Topic: Canoe Advice  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Canoe Advice
« on: Aug 29, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »
Well, I am looking into getting a canoe. I want one that's smaller (maybe 13-14') and wide for stability. I want to be able to hunt (with my dog) and fish out of it primarily, but would probably just cruise around in it every now and then, and would not be in many places with waves. Does anyone have any suggestions for a make or model? I would love a good used one, but they are probably pretty hard to come by :(
Adam

Offline Van Cleaver

• Nubbie
Re: Canoe Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2005, 09:12:09 PM »
You might want to check out Radisson, a Canadian company that makes some really light aluminum canoes. The 14' moels handle 800-850lbs., and weigh 41-44lbs. Been looking at them for a while now, just can't seem to rationalize the purchase. (But I still may!)  www.radissoncanoes.com

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2005, 07:07:01 AM »
I've owne an Indian River Canoe for 11 years now. 14' 55 lbs fiber glass with carrying yoke. very good canoe for shallow water. Also good in wavy situations. It is very easy to handle, stable canoe.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2005, 07:11:30 PM »
Oldtown Pathfinder.
Great canoe made by a great canoe company.  It is a 14 foot canoe that is a little wider in the middle for stability also the wider middle formes a concave bottom.  The more weight in the canoe the deeper the concave.  This forms like a double keel on the canoe making it more stabe than the average canoe.  Weight is around 60 lbs.

Offline TroutKing

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »
Another great canoe that is extremely stable and is only 12 feet long is the Old Town Stillwater 12. It is 41 inches wide, offering plenty of stability, yet it is still relatively light (50 lbs.). Try it out.

TroutKing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal