Author Topic: Do does taste better??  (Read 29568 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Do does taste better??
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »
Everybody does things different. As long as we're all hunting and enjoying our venison, It's all good! ;)

Bob

You got that right....... ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
Lots of things to consider here.  When I can, I age my deer (read, hang) 3 days with hide on.  I have gotten back into bow hunting and we don't always have hanging temp in October, so I am considering buying a junker fridge that I can age venison in.  I (and a lot of professional chefs) say this: the longer red meat hangs, the more tender and flavorful it will be on the plate.  One of the reasons a good steak in a good steakhouse costs $45.00 is because it takes energy (refridgerators, rented space etc etc) to age the steak for 1-2 weeks.  But it will melt in your mouth.  I have eaten tender 189# 5 year old bucks and shoe leather 120# does.  I am of the opinion that aging the meat properly is the critical factor.  Of course, kitchen skills are a factor too, but that's a different discussion entirely.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2011, 09:26:32 AM by vermonner »

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with how it was butchered. whether there is more or less fat content. I have had deer from a chop shop style butcher whom does 15-20+ deer a night not taste as good as deer we butchered our selves. who  knows it might just be all in my head. I will agree with everyone on tenderness though a deer in rut is going to be like chewing beef jerkey, I shot a 50 pound skipper couple days into expanded last year and it was like eating veal, it was awesome.

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
The backstrap in doe and bucks taste great  I cant taste any difference , I take a backstrap from either.
no information

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
i think its all in the way the animal is processed,i butcherd my own deer then got another 1 few days later that i took to a butcher.the deer i did my self was way better than the deer done at the butcher,i think he left the silver skin on all the meat as it tasted like a wet dog.last time i ever let anyone else butcher my deer
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »

Nothin tastes better than a nice Button Buck  ;) And hang em as long as possible  ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2012, 04:20:21 AM »

Nothin tastes better than a nice Button Buck  ;) And hang em as long as possible  ;D

you've been talking to bogman haven't you??   8)

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
In my personal experience does average better than bucks for tenderness and mild flavor. Feed has a lot to do with it. Hang time etc.

X2

Peddler  8) 8) 8)
Peddler

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
you've been talking to bogman haven't you??   8)
Well ya , however that came from personal experience  ;)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
The best tasteing deer that I have had was a rutted out ,stinking to beat the hills old buck that I hung for a week and it tasted great ? Never understood why ? should have had a bad taste to it ,but it didn't ? But as was mentioned ,food sourses and such play a huge part in the taste and texture of the meat as does age in some cases .But I'll eat them all ,done right they all taste great

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »

The best deer that I've ever had was, it was killed on my Maine hunting trip, it hung there for 5 days then we brought it home & put in the barn to cut up the next day. But we were called in to work it got cold during the week then got warm & it thawed, the next weekend when we got to it boy did it stink but the farmer that use to own my place said " oooh man it just right" so we went & cut it up, threw it into the freezer. When we went to eat it, it melted in our mouths & tasted great. That farmer also told me to hang my beef that I raised in the barn until it turned greenish to purple then cut all the color off the rest of the meat, best beef I ever had . I guess people pay lots of money for aged meat. :o

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
           The best deer that I've ever had was, it was killed on my Maine hunting trip, it hung there for 5 days then we brought it home & put in the barn to cut up the next day. But we were called in to work it got cold during the week then got warm & it thawed, the next weekend when we got to it boy did it stink but the farmer that use to own my place said " oooh man it just right" so we went & cut it up, threw it into the freezer. When we went to eat it, it melted in our mouths & tasted great. That farmer also told me to hang my beef that I raised in the barn until it turned greenish to purple then cut all the color off the rest of the meat, best beef I ever had . I guess people pay lots of money for aged meat. :o
Absolutely Jeff , We used to age our own Beef at the Sherwood Inn .... funky stanky situation but MMMMMMMMMMMMM ;D

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
the smaller the deer , buck or doe the tendera. what they eat has alot to do with it also and at least a week hang time. if its warm , i quarter it and put it in an old refridgerator for a few days. toughest deer i ever ate was a 2 yr old doe. couldn't believe it. the guy who tagged it for me commented. its gonna be good eating.but the only thing i could figure, musta been run by dogs.

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »

I agree with Mookie these are the best esp if eating only corn and alfalfa for a diet!

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
Ya, the hinging thing.  Deer are not cows.  Do you age port?  Do you age poultry?  Hanging does nothing to the meat of a deer other than rot it, and not like you in vision it (as aged beef).  Beef cows have been bread for decades to become the animals we have today.  The marbling of fat throughout the muscle tissue is not a natural occurrence.  Properly aged beef is also kept at a very controlled temperature and monitored on a regular basis.  Once ready to serve, the outer inch or so is trimmed and discarded due to the high bacteria count in the outer layer (thus the very high cost).  Hanging a deer in a tree for a week, and then eating it is nothing short of disgusting.  It amazes me what some people will eat…

:P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal